Caution; Low Flying Aircraft.

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Caution; Low Flying Aircraft.

Postby BradG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:52 pm

Here's a picture I took of the museums Canberra moving down the Western Ring Road a couple of weeks ago. I was standing out on the bridge for about 25 minutes, getting some very strange looks from people walking past. My pic even made the channel 9 news!

BradG

Re: Caution; Low Flying Aircraft.

Postby tor lives » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:49 pm

I am so wrapped that another Canberra is being saved.
Clearly the RAAF have faith in your abilities to do this ol girl justice.
From Aero Australia:
Canberra A84-226 was built at the Government Aircraft Factory in 1955 and served with No 2 Squadron. This aircraft participated in a goodwill visit to the USA in 1956, became a ‘training aid’ at RAAF Base Wagga, and was a long-term resident adjacent to the trainees’ mess inside the base. This aircraft has been gifted to the Australian National Aviation Museum (the Australian Aircraft Restoration Group) at Moorabbin in Victoria for restoration to enhance its collection of Australian built aircraft.

TOR
tor lives

Re: Caution; Low Flying Aircraft.

Postby BradG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Yeh, as the caption says, it didn't have an interesting career, it didn't go to Vietnam unlike A84-222 which we have the nose of. One of the funny things at Moorabbin are that most of the aircraft in the collection had fairly uninteresting military lives but it was that factor which led to them being around long enough for the museum to collect. An exception is our Kittyhawk, that did see action in Darwin.
BradG

Return to Crew Lounge