Mustang A68-71 arrives at Moorabbin

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Mustang A68-71 arrives at Moorabbin

Postby BradG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:19 pm

I took these Saturday afternoon in the carpark before it was moved to storage. After 14 months of fundraising and making the final payment a few weeks ago, it's here. As you can see it's in bits, it has some damage to the wing and under carriage caused by a ground loop and it does not have an engine or prop. We have a prop and spinner, so we just need an engine now. The idea is to get it back together sooner rather than later, but I'm sure at least the fuselage will be on display at the upcoming CAC reunion later this year.

BradG

Re: Mustang A68-71 arrives at Moorabbin

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Great effort by all involved Brad, and thanks for posting.
The good folk at Moorabbin are really hitting some home runs with some amazing stuff turning up there lately.
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Certainly been a few acquisitions lately. Some, like the Mustang have been in the works for a number of years, but the Nomad was one that literally turned up 5 days after we got the call. It was a case of; if you want it, come and get it by the end of the week.

There may be more to follow before the end of the year too....
BradG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:19 am

Great work Brad and all the team at the museum! Any clues or hints what scheme it will be painted? You guys are sure kicking goals now - well done!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby BradG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 am

They will paint it as -71 I'm sure. They aren't very adventurous with colour schemes, despite my best efforts to get the sabre in Malaysian markings and the Meteor in TT colours.
BradG

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:51 am

I reckon it should be painted as VH-FCB.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby BradG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:20 pm

That'd look nice. I know there is some thought to painting the Beaufighter in it's TT colours. That won't come until it goes into the workshop and it needs a hell of a lot of work if you look closely at it. There was some thought of taking the Ceres off display, but it's one of the most popular aircraft with the kids, so it remains in the hangar. It too needs a serious repaint and it's actually in the process of having the cowlings repainted and cleaned up.
BradG

Postby tor lives » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:29 pm

BradG wrote:That'd look nice. I know there is some thought to painting the Beaufighter in it's TT colours. That won't come until it goes into the workshop and it needs a hell of a lot of work if you look closely at it. There was some thought of taking the Ceres off display, but it's one of the most popular aircraft with the kids, so it remains in the hangar. It too needs a serious repaint and it's actually in the process of having the cowlings repainted and cleaned up.

Where/how do you do the re-paints down there Brad???
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:14 pm

tor lives wrote:
BradG wrote:That'd look nice. I know there is some thought to painting the Beaufighter in it's TT colours. That won't come until it goes into the workshop and it needs a hell of a lot of work if you look closely at it. There was some thought of taking the Ceres off display, but it's one of the most popular aircraft with the kids, so it remains in the hangar. It too needs a serious repaint and it's actually in the process of having the cowlings repainted and cleaned up.

Where/how do you do the re-paints down there Brad???
TOR

Aircraft like the Beau were painted in the hangar where it currently is. I remember the whole end of the hangar was sealed with plastic, there was bloody green paint flecks everywhere for a while. Smaller parts can be done in the workshop, or at the presidents business which is literally up the road on the airport. Larger aircraft are done outside, the Meteor had some paint applied but it rained later that day, so it needs another good rub back and paint. The DC-3 is getting worked on at the moment, it will be painted up as a TAA aircraft I think, in the white and silver with red cheat line. More than likely it will be done outside, in the nicer weather.
BradG

Postby F-27pax » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks for the news on the Mustang, and the other informational as well. Being on the other side of Melbourne from the Museum makes it difficult to get to but, one of these days ...

Leigh
F-27pax

Next

Return to Crew Lounge