What's your favourite???

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

What's your favourite???

Postby tor lives » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:44 pm

So, for all the spacecraft fans and Sci Fi Geeks out there here is a simple question:
What is your favourite spacecraft....real or imagined????
Personally, I have always thought that the Jupiter 2 from the Lost in Space TV series was always kick arse, and what a flying saucer was supposed to look like.
My all-time favourite spacecraft though was the Enterprise C from Star Trek,.....now THAT is a one good-looking Federation Star Ship, (the best of all of the Enterprise Star Ships as far as I am concerned).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_ ... ration_era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxPuNccmQU
TOR
tor lives

Re: What's your favourite???

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:59 pm

Fireball XL-5! Childhood memories
VH-WAL

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Millenium Falcon and Thunderbird 2
DesTROYer

Postby oz rb fan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:45 pm

space battle ship yamato (or argo form starblazer's) and serenity from firefly
oz rb fan

Postby oz rb fan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:52 pm

space battle ship yamato (or argo form starblazer's) and serenity from firefly
oz rb fan

Postby Tony P » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Sci-fi; Battlestar gallactica. The original one.
real: Space Shuttle
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:46 am

Real fav - X-15 "Bull".

OK- purely a research aircraft, but it did spend some time out in "space" with the ballistic flights, Joe Walker took the Bull up to 354k feet. Quite a few NASA test pilots received their astronaut wings for achieving over 50 miles up:

Joe Walker (later died colliding with a XB-70)
Bob White (who also went on to fly F-105's over Nth Vietnam after his X-15 stint)
Bob Rushworth
Joe Engle (later a Shuttle commander)
John McKay (injured in nasty X-15 crash landing)
Bill Dana (ended up running the NASA Dryden test facility)
"Pete" Knight - also took the X-15A-2 up to Mach 6.7 (last flight of this machine due to melting damage!)
Michael Adams - USAF test pilot who tragically died in X-15A-3 (hypersonic spin on re-entry followed by divergent pitch oscillations).

Neil Armstrong course went on to get his astronaut wings in another NASA program. His claim to fame with the X-15 is his "cross country" flight when he skipped off the atmosphere and just could not get the Bull heading downstairs. At one point, he thought he might have to land at LAX!

The Bull was by out and far the greatest test research rocket aircraft/spacecraft and directly lead to the development to the Space Shuttle. Further aerospace aircraft that will cruise at hypersonic speeds in the future will also benefit from this research.

OK - my Sci Fi fav is the Tardis! Why, well it's pretty small and compact, yet super roomy inside. Zips around the universe and through time at a pinch and the Doctor always seemed to have a pretty hot companion to keep him company in his journeys through time and space. To break the boredom, he got to kick some douchebag "tin cans" or dudes with paper Mache masks in the nuts every now and again - not a bad life!

Adam the Akrodude

Postby RHB785 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:54 pm

That TARDIS looks good Adam. Except I think it seems to be missing a decal. The St. John Ambulance roundel on the RH half of the door.

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Postby RayS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 am

Sci Fi: Re-imaged Battlestars, Galactica and Pegasus
Real: Can't go past the pure grunt and lines of a Saturn V
Ray

RayS

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:47 am

Hi RayS

I could not agree more with your comment about the mighty Saturn V! What a phenomenal launch system that was! Years ago I saw one F-1 engine bell and the turbo-pump at NASM - the turbo pump alone was the size of a car!

There is a brand new archive for Apollo photos I heard about today. So for any space nut(s) such as I, there are thousands of Apollo photos to look at - go for it space nerds!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums/with/72157658629097469
Adam the Akrodude

Next

Return to Crew Lounge