Mach 2 Viscount WIP

Show us what's on the bench

Mach 2 Viscount WIP

Postby VH-WAL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 am

I am building my first Mach 2 kit, yeah I know I know but really how bad can they be? First up I noticed every fuselage window was a different shape and alignment, well bugger that I'll fill the things in and decal the windows (pity because the windows were quite large) but no biggie for me.

Actually the Viscount does look like a Viscount, I was surprised at the reasonableness of the two fuselage halves fit, not so bad I thought. I put in an extension plug to convert the 700 to an 800 series aircraft. I sawed the fuselage in two at the appropriate point, I jigged then glued the insert then glued the front section of fuselage in the jig to the rear fuselage + extension assembly checked all square and inline, the top and bottom fuselage seams are straight and aligned, the horizontal lines are straight and aligned. So after the glue has set and the jig has been removed, yep everything is inline but why did it look like the nose was skewed to the right? Well bugger me if the right front nose shape is different to the left, OK there is not much in it, probably if it was camouflage painted you wouldnt notice but with an airliner scheme, from the top, to my eyes the fuselage has the symmetry of Dirk Diggler's Donger! Now I have astigmatic vision nothing ever seems straight to me when building models, a ruler is in constant use to check my alignments, you'd think that this thing would look straight to me, but no! Anyway I figured it wasnt that bad I could live with it to have a Viscount in the cabinet, so then I built the wings, hmm not bad I thought...the next bit seemed ok at first, parts of the assembly (engine to wing fairing /firewall/ nacelle) fitted the wing quite nicely and lulled me into a sense that all was right with the world it wasn't until I came to glue the engines onto to the fairing that I noticed how horribly mismatched they were in size and shape and noted that lots of filler would be required here but that was not the worst of it as I glued each engine onto the nacelle it became increasingly evident that even though the fairing to wing and engine fairing joints appeared to be "square" they were not! With the engines glued on at positions at best fit they were all at different angles of incidence and alignment, the bloody engines on the wings looked like a wicket-keepers fingers! Off came all the engines, firewall faces and engine mounts were filed and sanded so that the engines would fit square to the wing. Lots of filler sanding etc and now it looks ok and I thought all was right in the world.. masking painting , masking painting. I took the window masks off and jeez the windscreen panes that are molded into the "clear" part are nothing like the real thing, so now I am am really peed off,I can't live with this, I have to sand the moulded framing off, re do the white paint (at least I can contain that to the cockpit "hump") then create my own framing with masking tape and paint the windscreen panes. Mumble grumble I thought I would finish it tomorrow.

Oh yes I forgot to mention, I had to put a bit of filler to build up the "radar nose" to get it to look right

home designed / made decals for this one:
VH-WAL

Re: Mach 2 Viscount WIP

Postby Graeme H » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:46 am

OK, i'm in
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby RayS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Watching as well :D
Ray

RayS

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I'll never be able to look at this model now without thinking of your reference to Boggy Nights! Good God, that's a Viscount down his trousers! :lol:

Good luck with this one, even though you don't need luck!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby F-27pax » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 pm

One of our club members made the Mach 2 Viscount, as a 700. Did the cabin interior and everything. It took him months, but the result was outstanding. S Im following this with interest.

Leigh
F-27pax

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 pm

I WAS about to leave for a camping trip but I couldnt resist printing off the decals and doing one side..I feel the love.. I went a bit far with the white silver cutoff will need touching up. I PUT THE wings and TAIL on the wee hours of the morning finish when I get back

VH-WAL

Postby Ansett A330 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:19 pm

And they reckon the 2017 Force India has an unfortunate "forehead" :

Look at the "forehead" on the Viscount! :

VH-WAL wrote:Image

Will be watching with interest the progress on this one too!
Ansett A330

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

hiya gang, just back from a weeks camping trip and finished putting this together..well almost, i have a few touch ups to attend to and also need get some aerials on the roof then semigloss coat the whole shebang. It is undeniably a model Viscount but it looks a little odd to me, I cant put my finger on it..maybe it was just an odd looking aeroplane!

did the prop arcs of the inners and outers really overlap? (not on the same "plane" of course, the outer prop line is further aft than the inners.
VH-WAL

Postby Ansett A330 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 am

VH-WAL wrote:but it looks a little odd to me, I cant put my finger on it..maybe it was just an odd looking aeroplane!

Looks bloody excellent to me but maybe it is a little odd in that "forehead" area?

Ansett A330

Postby Graeme H » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 am

Very fine model there Wal, and interesting rego, former 34 Sqn bird
Graeme
Graeme H

Next

Return to Member's Works in Progress