Mustang A68-71 arrives at Moorabbin

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Mustang A68-71 arrives at Moorabbin

Postby BradG » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:05 pm

It's been a big year. 5 aircraft acquisitions; Mustang, Canberra, Nomad, Pazmarni, 737 and there may be more to follow.....watch this space!
BradG

Postby tor lives » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:48 pm

BradG wrote:It's been a big year. 5 aircraft acquisitions; Mustang, Canberra, Nomad, Pazmarni, 737 and there may be more to follow.....watch this space!

How good is that!!!
A top effort by any definition!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:02 pm

tor lives wrote:
BradG wrote:It's been a big year. 5 aircraft acquisitions; Mustang, Canberra, Nomad, Pazmarni, 737 and there may be more to follow.....watch this space!

How good is that!!!
TOR

True, we've also disposed of the second Heron, which was sold to someone in Sydney. Fear not, we do have the fixed under carriage prototype Herron, which unlike the one sold, has not been gutted and has engines and props. The Canberra will be reassembled in the spot the Heron took up in the next few weeks.

However Ray, we're still chronically short of hangar space! I think we are around 70 aircraft now all up, with just not enough space under cover for them. We do have land set aside, which is on the other side of the airfield on Boundary Rd, but without money for a big hangar, sadly it gets us no closer to bringing everything home. We are also unable to develop the current site any further.

I get terribly frustrated when I hear there is another 200 million dollars for whatever sports stadium, but the museum seems unable to break into any real significant funding for buildings. Even with the museum being a tax deductible organisation for donations over $2, there is still little in the way of interest in companies donating.
BradG

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:17 pm

BradG wrote:
tor lives wrote:

How good is that!!!
TOR

True, we've also disposed of the second Heron, which was sold to someone in Sydney. Fear not, we do have the fixed under carriage prototype Herron, which unlike the one sold, has not been gutted and has engines and props. The Canberra will be reassembled in the spot the Heron took up in the next few weeks.

However Ray, we're still chronically short of hangar space! I think we are around 70 aircraft now all up, with just not enough space under cover for them. We do have land set aside, which is on the other side of the airfield on Boundary Rd, but without money for a big hangar, sadly it gets us no closer to bringing everything home. We are also unable to develop the current site any further.

I get terribly frustrated when I hear there is another 200 million dollars for whatever sports stadium, but the museum seems unable to break into any real significant funding for buildings. Even with the museum being a tax deductible organisation for donations over $2, there is still little in the way of interest in companies donating.

That's 'cos nobody gives a stuff about aviation. It sucks, but that's reality.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby BradG » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:33 pm

You are depressingly correct. The last committee came to power promising facilities could be built without liquidating assets, namely the Beaufighter, but found out the hard way that it didn't happen and that error nearly saw the museum go under. The current administration has done a terrific job getting the organisation back on it's feet, but I think the Mustang fund raising has taught them the valuable lesson that as you say, no one really cares (present company excluded of course).
BradG

Previous

Return to Crew Lounge