mosquito MK35

The membership central "photo album". Show us what ya got folks!!!

mosquito MK35

Postby Dylan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:49 pm

I finally got around to uploading my photos from the other day.
It was recently restored in Victoria B.C.they had to put 5 hours on it to get the C of A from Transport Canada. and now she will sit in a hangar next to the Spitfire collecting dust. the guy that owns it is not too keen on flying it or displaying it at a museum,so this might be the only time I will get to see her up close.

Dylan

Re: mosquito MK35

Postby Dylan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 pm

pt.2

Dylan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:08 pm

In a word - "WOW!". Looks like a pretty cool day at work for you Dylan! Was this built in NZ or put together in Canada?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Dylan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Adam, apparently it was built in NZ and immediately disassembled and put in storage. according to the engineer I was talking to, it spent most of the last 60 or so years in crates.
Dylan

Postby tor lives » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:26 pm

That is friggen AWESOME Dylan!!!!
It doesn't get any better than this for us aerosexuals.....that's what I call a good day at the "office" :D .
TOR
tor lives

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:09 am

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous airframes...just gorgeous you get the picture :)
VH-WAL

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:21 am

Dylan wrote:Adam, apparently it was built in NZ and immediately disassembled and put in storage. according to the engineer I was talking to, it spent most of the last 60 or so years in crates.

Yup, that's right.....and there's a second Mossie flying now..
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Bloody beautiful. I know the owner can decide what he wants to do with it but IMHO he's an idiot for spending all that cash and then leaving it in a hangar. It's just not right. If I could afford do build something like this, I'd fly the bugger that's for sure.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Bloody beautiful. I know the owner can decide what he wants to do with it but IMHO he's an idiot for spending all that cash and then leaving it in a hangar. It's just not right. If I could afford do build something like this, I'd fly the bugger that's for sure.

Yeah....I have to agree. If all you want to do is park it in a hanger wouldn't it have been more cost-effective just to get a 1:1 fibreglass replica made???. I don't see the sense in going to all the trouble and expense of getting this beautiful piece of aviation history airworthy..... only to hide it away.
That's what Qantas did after spending a heap of time and money restoring their very first Boeing 707-138 to airworthy condition, flying it to Australia, and then permanently grounding it at the Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach :shock: ....what was the point???
TOR
tor lives

Postby Dylan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:16 am

the owner is really an odd duck for sure. he sees the planes as investments. he bought the Mossie for a couple hundred grand 20 or so years ago. spent a couple million making her pristine. now it has been appraised at 10 million dollars. 10 years from now when the economy picks back up it will be worth $25 million.
he is one of those guys that just knows how to make money.

the consensus around the campfire is that he should take them both down to the museum of flight in Seattle. they will both be well taken care of, and people can get a good look at them.

cheers
Dylan
Dylan

Next

Return to Member Photos