Waiting...waiting...

The membership central "photo album". Show us what ya got folks!!!

Waiting...waiting...

Postby Nillus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Departure DXB. Behind the EK SuperDooper...35 mins of taxiing with 4 x Rollers burning. Grrrr.
Nillus

Re: Waiting...waiting...

Postby Capt NG » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Plenty of time to finish your sandwiches then mate?... I reckon you could take a cut lunch on some of those taxi outs..Should of seen Melbourne last week.. 70 mins of ground delays.. :cry:
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times... I remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty..
Capt NG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Man, what a drag. Could be worse I guess, at least the fuel bill isn't coming out of your pocket! As a pax, I've never been in a more crowded and busy airport. Never ever have I seen queues for male toilets - anywhere. Maybe it was just particularly busy when I went through Dubai?

Happy landings!

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Out of interest Cap'n, what is the amount of "sag" or flex in the wing from on the ground to in-flight (say vertical length from when measured at wingtip)? Just curious. Oh, if you can't answer immediately, I understand - you having to fly a gigantic aeroplane and all!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Bloody hell! And here's me getting grumpy every time I have to taxi to 31R at YMMB..
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Nillus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Hey Adam...the amount of sag (flex) when at max take off weight with full fuel load in the A380-800 compared to in-flight as measured at the wing tips is not something I can find in a manual supplied to me.
At a guess I would say...about "that much".

Sorry. Smart@rse reply.
Nillus

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Salty wrote:Hey Adam...the amount of sag (flex) when at max take off weight with full fuel load in the A380-800 compared to in-flight as measured at the wing tips is not something I can find in a manual supplied to me.
At a guess I would say...about "that much".

Sorry. Smart@rse reply.

I feel like one of those pain in the backside kids you guys up front used to have to "inspire" during cockpit visits by putting up with endless questions - "Ah, Cap'n, how much does the wing flex?" . Just Googled it. I was guessing 2-3 metres, but it's a whopping 4 metres according to British Airways site - that is impressive! Looks like the 787 will do a staggering 8 metres plus flex. I remember watching a video of a 777 wing flex to destruction test. The wing tip was almost vertical when it blew apart in the test rig.

Here's another great feature of a A380 not mentioned anywhere. It's sensational for taking a 2 y.o for a walk. Those without kids won't know that 2 y.o kids have a attention span of about 30 seconds! So, unless eating or asleep, they get pretty restless. I actually felt I once walked halfway to Europe when pax'ing on a A380 and walking the kid - down the top deck, down the stairs, along the bottom and repeat in reverse order hundreds of times! A380 - big tick from parent when long hauling little ones!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Mate, if I'm flying internationally and there was a kid in the cabin, I'd suggest duck taping them to the chair and gagging them....by I'm not exactly child friendly.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:08 pm

_BlackHawk_ wrote:Mate, if I'm flying internationally and there was a kid in the cabin, I'd suggest duck taping them to the chair and gagging them....by I'm not exactly child friendly.

Brad, that's a very poor suggestion to make to a parent - in a attempt at jest or whatever. What are you suggesting you'd say or do to a child walking up an aisle? Can't see you handling international flight then - always plenty of kids in the cabin. Sea travel may work better for you, or becoming a multi-squillionaire and having/hiring your own Gulfstream to jet about in.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:22 pm

I can barely stand them at the shops. I nearly starve to death on school holidays because venturing anywhere near Coles is just excruciating for me. I wan't Clive Palmer to get his Titanic going so I can have a cruise on it! If I had the money I would most certainly be renting my own private jet! That might have to wait until nan drops off the perch though.
_BlackHawk_

Next

Return to Member Photos