Poor ol Bou

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Poor ol Bou

Postby tor lives » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:16 pm

An interesting photo of a poor ol RAAF Bou
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Australi ... cac17033f4
tor lives

Re: Poor ol Bou

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:17 pm

A4-185's wheel ran into a ditch on landing and it dug in. The wings and engines were salvaged and the fuselage was incorporated into the local defence structure.

Forward fuselage converted to bunker after accident at A Ro, Vietnam 18th November 1964
ADF Serials.

http://www.cariboucargo.com.au/18/a4-185.html
DesTROYer

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:06 am

Very interesting story and sad outcome for that very young Bou. It's time was terminated far too short. I'm sure had this happened at another larger airfield, it would have survived. It was obviously deemed either impossible or uneconomical to recover. The RAAF sure got it's money out of those wonderful aircraft over the years - what incredible service to our country.

One of my ex-bosses years ago was a one time RAAF WO - as he described he was one of the "King of the Shits"! He had two great stories of Bou's. One time he was pax'ing in the back of a Bou from Perth to Adelaide and the driver up the front decided to have fun with those down the back. He set up a roller coaster pitch up and down every time one of the crew needed to relieve himself during that very long and slow transit, causing the victim to float around in zero G surrounded by a mini constellation of his our urine.

The second story revolved around a brilliant photo he had in his home. The RAAF years ago had been tasked with building airstrips around Indonesia - part of a foreign aid gift to that country at the time. Anyhoo, the photo showed a line of guys across the runway who had all dropped their trousers and were pointing their backsides towards a on-coming Bou, which was doing a beat up of the strip at about 10 metres off the runway. It was a spectacular photo.

Caribou - I bow low in honour of your supreme service to our country!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Yeah....the old Caribou was a good and loyal old bus that's for sure, (I just wish the A380 was as reliable).
I remember flying from Richmond to Williamtown in a Bou once. We were in a headwind and the ol girl was flying so slow you could look down and see cars overtaking us on the Pacific Highway :D
She was the only aeroplane where, for a bird strike to occur, the bird would have to turn around and come back :lol:
TOR
tor lives

Return to Crew Lounge