photo sharing

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

photo sharing

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:55 pm

anyone got any ideas about photosharing as photobucket that i have been using for years wont allow it unless you start paying for the service :x
oz rb fan

Re: photo sharing

Postby RayS » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:45 pm

I have just switched to Flickr, a little different to upload to but working OK for me.
Ray

RayS

Postby BradG » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Yep they pretty much cut off everyone's 3rd party links and want 400 bucks US a year to restore them. Apparently their new company tag is; Photobucket - Because f**k you, that's why.

I stopped using their crappy service a while ago as it was so infested with ads it would either crash, lock up or be incredibly slow.
BradG

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:41 pm

BradG wrote:Yep they pretty much cut off everyone's 3rd party links and want 400 bucks US a year to restore them. Apparently their new company tag is; Photobucket - Because f**k you, that's why.

I stopped using their crappy service a while ago as it was so infested with ads it would either crash, lock up or be incredibly slow.

You have to wonder what they hell are they thinking. $400 US, when there are others out there doing it better for free.
DesTROYer

Postby Graeme H » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:07 pm

I started using postimage a couple of years ago, worked very well for a while, but it gave me a lot of grief lately, then I read on another forum that it worked better with Chrome than Edge, and lo and behold it does, I had put some up on PB recently, but after they started their ransomware attack, leaving that alone.

I also read on another site about uploading your photos to a blog that you create, and then you have complete control, can post directly from your blog to a forum.
I don't have any idea if this would work, are there any techos out there who can tell us if this viable?
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby BradG » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:29 pm

DesTROYer wrote:
BradG wrote:Yep they pretty much cut off everyone's 3rd party links and want 400 bucks US a year to restore them. Apparently their new company tag is; Photobucket - Because f**k you, that's why.

You have to wonder what they hell are they thinking. $400 US, when there are others out there doing it better for free.

Speculation it's a last minute cash grab before it goes under. Murdoch Press bought it some years back but ended up ditching it a few years later for a 20 million dollar loss.
BradG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Any consensus as to the best photo sharing site?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Flickr
DesTROYer

Postby F-27pax » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Does anyone know about the suggestion that Graeme made of setting up a blog and copying photos across from there. I've been thinking about doing a blog but if it would take care of this photobucket mess as well that would be useful.
Leigh
F-27pax

Postby Graeme H » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:15 pm

I found that Tim Holland posted over on 72nd Aircraft site about using a blog, so have copied and pasted it here for discussion
I am first to admit I'm a bit of a luddite on tech stuff these days, so any help about this would be appreciated

I tried Flickr, and have a few posts here, but decided to switch to hosting my forum photos on my Blogger site in a draft post. It is free, no ads, appears to be no limits, and I can just copy the link from the draft blog post to here with zero issues.

I'm using a Mac, so your mileage may vary...

On Flickr, I sized my photos to "medium 500 x XXX" as that appeared to look right to me on the forum here. Option is on the Share Photo dialog box, BBCode option. I copy, then past here in the draft and then edit the post to remove all the Flickr BS. All that is required is the text between the img and /img tags.

On Blogger I upload my photos to the draft blog post, using the default settings for sizing and position, as it doesn't matter given I'm copying the location anyway. I then find the src="https://[code].jpg" and copy/past to the draft post here. Then I remove the src= and quotes, replacing them with img and /img (in braces []). Lastly, I replace the "s320" with "s640" as that sizes the photo to double the default width here.

As I go forward I'm going to create a faux blog called "Forum Albums" and each faux post will be associated with the respective forum here that I post a photo to. That way I can find them easily, and call me crazy...maybe add the text as well! That way I've got a sort of record of my postings (I currently archive in notes which makes it easy to review while mobile). My only risk with using Blogger is when (I'm not assuming "if") Google decides to stop supporting Blogger. When that happens I'll either switch to paid hosting, another free option like WordPress, or give up.

Tim
Graeme
Graeme H

Next

Return to Crew Lounge