Eric "Winkle" Brown

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Eric "Winkle" Brown

Postby Graeme H » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:32 am

Sad to report that Eric "Winkle" Brown has passed away.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/n ... -1-4035347

A man who was a true legend, to say he was a Pilot's Pilot is no understatement.
Graeme
Graeme H

Re: Eric "Winkle" Brown

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 am

I am very saddened to read this news this morning - truly one of the all time greats! Yet, Capt. Brown lived a very full life and was gracious to share his aviation experiences via his writing and interviews. I have three of his books and he sure was a excellent and very articulate writer - testament to his high intelligence and rapier sharp wit! I just feel blessed to live in a time when greats such as Brown walked this earth, a man of immense talent and yet came across a humble man with no chest beating ego. I very much doubt anyone will ever beat his record of most types flown or carrier landings made - I certainly hope not anyway! Some records are not meant to be broken.

R.I.P and thankyou Capt Brown.

Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:52 am

one of the hardest things for me to see,i met him for about 5 minutes back in 2014,he was signing books at flying legends(and i just missed out on getting "wings on my shoulder...they'd just sold the last copy)..we didnt talk that much but he had a way to make you feel very at ease,and a very sharp memory,and wit.

the world is a much poorer place for his passing so many wonderful feats and a record that is never likely to be broken,RIP sir.
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

oz rb fan wrote:one of the hardest things for me to see,i met him for about 5 minutes back in 2014,he was signing books at flying legends(and i just missed out on getting "wings on my shoulder...they'd just sold the last copy)..we didnt talk that much but he had a way to make you feel very at ease,and a very sharp memory,and wit.

the world is a much poorer place for his passing so many wonderful feats and a record that is never likely to be broken,RIP sir.

I knew you'd be pretty cut up mate. You at least had the honour of meeting this gentleman - a man who truly gave so much to aviation. Don't you wish the British government hadn't been so stupid to drop the Miles M.52 - history could have been quite different! Perhaps Eric's "energy" is zooming up there in the thin ether? Let's raise a glass of whiskey (neat) tonight for Capt. Brown!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:41 am

Adam the Akrodude wrote:
oz rb fan wrote:one of the hardest things for me to see,i met him for about 5 minutes back in 2014,he was signing books at flying legends(and i just missed out on getting "wings on my shoulder...they'd just sold the last copy)..we didnt talk that much but he had a way to make you feel very at ease,and a very sharp memory,and wit.

I knew you'd be pretty cut up mate. You at least had the honour of meeting this gentleman - a man who truly gave so much to aviation. Don't you wish the British government hadn't been so stupid to drop the Miles M.52 - history could have been quite different! Perhaps Eric's "energy" is zooming up there in the thin ether? Let's raise a glass of whiskey (neat) tonight for Capt. Brown!

consider it done..and it will be a good quality single malt...you have moment in your life you will never forget..the first time you met you wife.....being passed on the front straight of Phillip island by a 365 gtb4 Ferrari(oh a V12 at full noise WONDERFUL!!!).....but meeting (only for a few minutes) Eric Winkle Brown is one thing i'll never forget,so humble and sharp witted and a memory full of wonders for an aviation junky like me....Blue skies and tailwinds SIR....rest up you've well and truly earned it....though if there is a heaven.......he will be flying about in a DH hornet.
oz rb fan

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 pm

a glass of glen moray is duly being being enjoyed in his honor........enjoy the company of your peers and your wife that went before you Capt Brown
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:15 pm

Paul, I think you now need to seriously work towards a certain "purchase" in the future. Capt Brown sure would approve! Yes, this is applying a lot of pressure, but you know it's the right thing to do in his honour. OK OK, I've unfairly pulled out the big guns and thrown out all ethical conduct in this regard, but you must make this future 1/32 purchase sir! And, it will of course cheer you up big time - am I right!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:32 pm

if the price on the up coming fisher firefly is right in might just........but the much lusted for HPH hornet is not going to happen :lol: ...there is too much wrong with it
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 pm

oz rb fan wrote:if the price on the up coming fisher firefly is right in might just........but the much lusted for HPH hornet is not going to happen :lol: ...there is too much wrong with it

See, now your budget for the Fisher Firefly is OK surely now the Hornet isn't happening. I bet Deb will understand - it's for the "Capt".

It sounds Capt Eric isn't all that impressed with the HpH Corncorde given all the extra work required to fix it. This sure is a example of value for money. I've experienced very poor value for money with Trumpeter kits with such glaring errors it's not funny at all. The Fisher kits are value for money because they are often rare types and they are perfect with little if any extra detail required. You can build Fisher kits pretty well OOB and get a excellent result. Of course like any resin kit they take a bit of work to put together, but that is the fun & challenging part.

We will be watching to see what you end up doing sir! :shock:
Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:12 pm

of course if i get a firefly,i'll have to save a bit more..............if it's a MKv or vi i'll need its partner in crime.....a seafury...i'm pretty sure the Capt said it was superb :D 8-) :oops: ...could get exy!!!!

oh and you not wrong....after doing a bit of research about the HPH hornet i was really disappointed with what was in the box for a $300+ kit,the fisher kit's are a godsend in comparison.....as for the trumpy kits if they were cheap i wouldnt mind......but $55 for an inaccurate kit (the whirlwind isnt bad but the hornet is terrible apperently)..is just discusting in this day and age............the whirlwind information is out there and the whirlwind fighter project may have helped if they were asked.....i'm sure David Collins that is slowly building up a hornet cockpit that may well grow into a full aeroplane would have helped as well...then i'd do a really nice 1/48 one for the capt 8-) 8-) 8-)
oz rb fan

Return to Crew Lounge