Your other quirky collections

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Your other quirky collections

Postby tor lives » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:24 pm

OK folks.....time for something a little bit different.
What other quirky collections, (apart from model aircraft), do you have or indulge in. I have a couple of different collections, and one of them is Aviation-associated patches, pins, and key-rings etc. These have been collected in my travels from all around the world, over three decades, and have come from Airshows, Air Museums, military deployments, etc.
So here it is (with some shots repeated for better look):
and I still have at least another cork board of stuff to mount.
So........show us what ya got.
TOR
tor lives

Re: Your other quirky collections

Postby oz rb fan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:50 pm

mine is a little more nerdy than yours TOR :o ..but when my daughter was 8 we discovered an anime series (thats japanese cartoons)that we both loved..it was our Saturday/Sunday morning thing to watch together...later we found out there were toys!!!..the build like snap together kits..i gave one to her for her 9th birthday...and we built them together till she was about 17 :shock: :o ...the series was called ZOIDS and the toys are as well...we have around 200 built ones :o .

in a time when i didnt have time to build model planes,these kept the juices flowing....and allowed me to spend time with my daughter...the bigger ones are battery operated and walk and flap wings etc...the smaller ones are wind up and do the same.....they are great 8-)
oz rb fan

Postby tor lives » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:58 pm

That's not nerdy at all.......in fact it is a bloody awesome collection. There is just so much to look at and take in. What I really like though is that it is not just a collection but a connection between you and your daughter. Thanks very much for posting Paul, I really enjoyed looking at what is truly an amazing and unusual collection.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:00 am

That's some seriously cool stuff Ray and Paul. I don't have any serious collections as such, but have collected some aviation nick knacks over the years. Prized piece is my F-105 throttle assembly. I will probably donate this back to a suitable organisation back in USA when I find the right way of doing this. I'd like to see it properly displayed somewhere, not just gather dust here - it's just too precious for me to own it.

I've have two Russian a/c clocks (MiG or Suk - anything for that matter) which I love - they are so cool! They look like this below.

A mate gave me a pair of RAF Mk.VIII flying googles with all the extra bits in the original box - very cool! His father had bought some surplus after the war. I also have a hugely treasured Sperry Artificial Horizon circa WW2. My father did his instrument apprenticeship with Sperry as a teenager at the end of WW2. This was his start into the world of instrumentation which I followed into.

I do buy the odd "cool" aviation clothing (hats/t-shirts), but these just get worn out until they literally fall off my and the wife trashes them! Isn't it amazing that t-shirts become their most comfortable just prior to falling apart! So, they never last long enough to become a collection. :-( Just bought this cool hat - a must purchase for any self-respecting current or former Pitts driver! ;-)

Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Some very cool and unusual gear there Adam. Love the F-105 throttle assembly.....doesn't get more authentic than that.
OK.....so here is my next collection. It's made up of Aviation-associated Lanyards
Image:
TOR
tor lives

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:12 pm

i need a like button guys......they are seriously cool collections
oz rb fan

Postby tor lives » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:04 pm

OK, so here is my next collection......Aviation-associated caps:

And for Paul

And for Knotty and Adam
Safe to assume that this particular cap does not take a prominent position in my collection :lol:
TOR
tor lives

Postby modelbear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 pm

There are some interesting collections shown here. I have a small collection of airline tickets and baggage tags. They mostly live in a box and haven't been added to in quite a while but I have some photos from a library display I did a few years back. The display also includes some of my aircraft kits. I tried to post photos here directly but I message 'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.' so the photos can be found at:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsktsn9SQ
Cheers,
Peter
modelbear

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Ray, if your current job doesn't work out, you will have to open a museum dude! That is one phenomenal collection! I've got the odd cloth patch stashed away here and god knows where - either given, bought or whatever. I should try to dig them out of wherever they are and organise them. I really need to organise/tidy/sort out my garage/office space as it is a disaster area! It's recently gotten worse as we had some painting done and of course half the stuff that was moved out of the house, my wife would not let back in! :roll:

I'd keep that Ford hat hidden away just in case HRT Paul ever visits. He'd probably try to set it on fire if he saw it! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:58 pm

OK.....so next up is my collection of all the different Qantas uniforms I ever wore:
TOR
tor lives

Next

Return to Crew Lounge