Cool video..

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Cool video..

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Re: Cool video..

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Never pull through. Stick forward when inverted and roll to upright - a lot easier and less G.

Years ago one of the guys in the aerobatic club down here was a 747 check capt with Ansett. He was finishing up his career on their 747 sim. After that 747 transonic barrel roll by that Chinese 747 coming into LAX, Ansett put some of their crews through this type of scenario. It was interesting to him (he flew Pitts Specials for fun) that the guys that had not done aerobatics all pulled through when inverted just as the Chinese captain did and ended up tearing the 747 apart in the dive. The guys who had done aero's and unusual attitude recovery simply pushed forward on the yoke when inverted to stop the nose dropping and rolled upright once in a shallow dive - easy! Not ever sure if they bothered with bottom rudder in the roll.
It's a pretty common mistake when flying inverted to just relax on the stick and pull through doing what is called a "Split S". This issue is the rapid build up of airspeed and potentially having too much and worse - too little altitude! In a little aerobatic machine, a Split-S should be started at no more than say 80 knots and use a decent amount of G in the pull. Many years ago I scared the crap out of myself in a Super Decathalon. Flying inverted in cruise, I decided to pull through - opps! Airspeed almost went through Vne and the altimeter unwound in a blur! I limited my pull to 4 G just in case I hit turbulence and over-G'd the aeroplane. From 4000' entry, I pulled out at 1500' and nearly soiled my pants! :oops:
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Crew Lounge