First flight in 5 months...

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

First flight in 5 months...

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 pm

...and what did I do? Session 1 of spin training. Half a dozen spins later, and we were both done in. The first spin was a bit daunting, as I didn't quite know what to expect since it's been 26 years since I've had one demonstrated to me in a C-152...this time we flew a Super Decathlon. Even after the first, I wasn't sure I could do that to myself, so my instructor demonstrated another, this time with the *wrong* recovery. After that, it was all mine....and I *can* do that to myself! Most fun I've had with my pants on in a long time. So a couple of spins to the left, and a couple to the right, then he did a "non-standard" entry and got me to recover. Next session will be about half an hour of spins, just to be sure I can remember how to do them, then either some aerobatics or some tailwheel stuff to fill in the rest of the time. Can't wait!! :D :D
HRT, yep, the Tiger is a fun aircraft to fly, but ya gotta get some aeros into you!
My ride - VH-KAR
A face only a mother could love.....according to Adam. Mind you, he's probably right...
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Re: First flight in 5 months...

Postby tor lives » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Good to see ya "back in the saddle" mate :D
You are a natural aeroplane driver!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Cheers, Ray..dunno about natural though. Must admit, I was a bit tentative to start with - not being familiar with the aircraft probably contributed to that - but after a while it all came back. Even did my first 3-point landing and didn't ground loop! :D
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:51 pm

The Tiger Moth is for relaxed flying my friend. Besides I've done aeros in a Mustang so got that covered 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:01 pm

aaaahhh aero's....NICE
oz rb fan

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:03 pm

aaaahhh aero's....NICE...looks like you had a ball mate.
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:26 am

Uh Ow! Look whose been bitten by the "Bug" and opened the Pandora's Box to the world of aerobatics!

Emoticon of Damo when the Decath departed and flicked into a spin - :shock:
Emoticon of Damo's eyes after spin training - :roll:
Emoticon representing Damo's grin after the Decath flight - :D
Emoticon of me who hasn't flown for over a year - :mrgreen:
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:04 am

Adam the Akrodude wrote:Emoticon of me who hasn't flown for over a year - :mrgreen:

This may make you feel a little better Adam
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 am

Cheers Ray! That as you are well aware was such a mind-blowing experience for me - particularly the 737 sim ride. I had sweat pouring off me and it took hours to come down from that buzz. It gave me a insight into how those sims are used as instruments of torture for those "real deal" professionals up the pointy end. I'll never forget that dark stormy night over Sydney with the lightning flashes and "moderate" turbulence - a truly humbling experience!

Now, how can one "sim" departing controlled flight when a simple loop is stuffed up and the inverted spin I've just entered is rapidly accelerating - brain in overload, heart racing, world spinning upside down - AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH! :shock:

Deakin Uni down at Geelong have a full motion simulator where actual G forces can be applied to the hapless "pilot". A mate of mine who is their "legal eagle" down there told me about it. He hasn't had a go in it - not allowed near it. I think they know he's a total bash artist from way back and are afraid he'll break it! :lol:
Be interesting to see if this technology is in fact adopted by this big sim companies. Looks a pretty wild ride. Damo, how about some advanced spin and emergency recovery training in this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjEOO1rM9A
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am

Bring it on!
Cap'n Wannabe

Next

Return to Crew Lounge