MH370 part found?

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

MH370 part found?

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:48 am

Seeing the news this morning, it does look like a flaperon from MH370 has been found. This isn't confirmed just yet, but the evidence is pretty convincing so far. It looks about the right size and over at PPRUNE.ORG, someone has posted a couple of technical drawings of the flaperon assembly and they look the same to my untrained eye.

Many more questions and lots of speculation will now flood from this event. To my amateur eye, it possibly suggests to have been a lower speed crash/ditching event as the part is largely intact - not twisted, bent or distorted. Could it have indeed been a controlled ditching which has been one of the more popular and likely speculations (i.e complete lack of debris field)? Metallurgists may be able to work out the potential loads exerted on the flaperon when it broke away from the wing via examining the stress fractures?

It will also be interesting to see what they come up with wind/current modelling over these months - may help put some light on whether or not they have been looking in the right area. Whether modelling over such a long period of time is possible, I've no idea of course. Let's hope this event helps the experts in some way to resolve this mystery.

This may hopefully at least provide some resolution to the poor families and friends of those on-board - a small mercy perhaps.
Adam the Akrodude

Re: MH370 part found?

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 am

Apparently there's also what appears to be a number on the item which could possibly be a serial number of said item. If that's correct, it should be reasonably easy to work out what model aircraft it's form and even the aircraft rego. Gonna be interesting for sure :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby DesTROYer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 am

every single part that makes up that Flaperon is stamped with a serial number that can be traced. Or so I've been told.
DesTROYer

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:20 pm

The flaperon as an assembly (collection of parts) will have an assembly serial number. Not every single part :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:49 am

Mmmmm, not sure how I feel about this. If it is not from the MH370 aircraft, than what aircraft is it from??, and if it is from the Malaysian jet, than it raises more questions than it answers. Just heard that another piece of wreckage has also apparently just been located.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:38 am

Looks most certainly from MH370. Interesting that this part is going to France for analysis. It will be interesting to hear what if anything can be determined from this part by analysing the stress fractures - may give some clues as to aircraft attitude and possibly speed at time of structural failure.
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Crew Lounge