time for some fun: 2016 predictions

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: time for some fun: 2016 predictions

Postby Wedgetail » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:57 pm

Adam, you would have enjoyed being in our little band of deranged nutters way back then.
We also played around with a V8 Anglia, an early Fiat Topolino with a side valve and also one which had a supercharged Holden six.
Fun times on two wheels and four. I had a very warmed over Triumph Tiger 110 which was a handful at times.

I was one of the original group of guys who helped clean up and get the Castlereagh Drag Strip up and going, so I guess that officially makes me an old geezer.

Cheers
Wayne
Wedgetail

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:31 pm

Very cool Wayne!

Being a petrol head is in my DNA. My father had a BSA motorbike as a young man in the UK and my mother at one time owned a early 30's red Ford Roadster with some kind of V8 in it. Mum did recall it had twin carb's and she did 1/4 mile time trials down a disused runway near Brisbane getting it over 100mph. She was quite a woman my mother. So, what did I buy as my first car - a Falcon XAGT Coup (Hardtop), which really was a handful and a total miracle I did not kill myself in it at the tender age of 21+. I did once manage to get two speeding tickets in one day travelling up the Hume once - such an idiot was I back then (fearless & brainless weren't we all huh). It was brilliant for road trips - really what it was designed for - high speed cruising on the open road. It was dreadful in the city - particularly parking with its manual unpowered steering and super heavy 11" double plated clutch. My left leg ended up bigger than my right leg at the time because of this! I so regret having to sell it years ago - money spent chasing my now current wife! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:45 pm

You won't catch me driving a "hero" car with a shitbox V6 being passed off as a performance car. There'll be plenty of V8 powered Commodores around to drive for years to come so I'll be fine for ages. And you also won't catch me in a Mustang that looks like a 3/4 sucked 5 day old lollipop. Good to see the ford stylists have still got their heads firmly up there arses. I wouldn't buy a brand spankers new car anyways cos you lose to much as soon as you drive out the dealership. If I have to drive an import then I'll go a 1 or 2yo Chysler 300C SRT8 thanks. Might go and take my Aussie 5L VN SS for a drive now :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:35 pm

This is what high performance GM Holden "hero cars" look like
Not some friggen pimped-up V6 Buick "wanna be"
TOR
tor lives

Postby oz rb fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:Hey Paul - didn't know about the GM law suits - is this the ignition system thing? WTF is wrong with car manufacturers - first VW spinning bullshit and now this. Designing/building/selling crap products is a flawed strategy. You may fool the punters once, but they will never buy that product again. Ford Australia thinking it's hunky dory to under-engineer the Territory was a mistake with 30% having suspension issues - WTF is that about? Cutting on quality ends up costing far far more in the long run.

Yup Adam its the ignition thing......after doing some reading I'm shocked to find out there was a problem before going ahead with production and to think a dollar per car and it would never have happened, theVW thing was just trying to cheat the system......so greed......I hope the mustang has fewer build quality problems than the last ones they bought here.......The territory, is another lost chance for ford in my mind.....should have been a huge export chance....and then the quality problems with not just territory's and falcons that rust.....just nuts....at least holden have tried...the chev ss......pontiac G8...pontiac GTO...

oh the funny thing is when helping a ford loving modler find a new car....(damn I got a lot of crap from Paul about that)..I trolled a few ford forums finding information....they all say the last decent aussie built falcon according to all the x series fans is.......the AU........BA's BF's and fg's all rust
oz rb fan

Postby oz rb fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:43 pm

hrtpaul wrote:To be a 'hero' car it actually has to be popular and I hate to tell ya but a turbo 6 ain't popular with Holden fans after having V8's all these years. I guess it's just another way for the soft cock younger generation to be an even bigger bunch of blouses than they already are. End of rant
turbo 6's not popular with holden fans?..........have you seen the amount of farking quick VL turbos doing the rounds of drag strips?
oz rb fan

Postby hrtpaul » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 pm

oz rb fan wrote:
hrtpaul wrote:To be a 'hero' car it actually has to be popular and I hate to tell ya but a turbo 6 ain't popular with Holden fans after having V8's all these years. I guess it's just another way for the soft cock younger generation to be an even bigger bunch of blouses than they already are. End of rant
turbo 6's not popular with holden fans?..........have you seen the amount of farking quick VL turbos doing the rounds of drag strips?

A hell of a lot less than you think mate. Many more quick V8's(MORE popular and MORE numerous) getting around than VL turbos. At least the VL turbo is an Aussie car so you can't really compare them to the import. Besides I want to go around corners as well man, not just a straight line 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:59 am

Yeah....I agree, I don't think you would find too many die-hard Holden high performance fans who would prefer a VL Turbo over a big, thumping 6.0 lt V8. I think the point that is being lost here is that it is not just about "quick", it's about looks, sound, charisma, road-presence, heritage, etc. All these things are what go into creating a classic/legendary "hero" car. For example, I am a die-hard Holden man, but I have absolute respect and reverence for the classic and mighty Falcon GT HO Phase Three.....how can ya not be impressed by a car that is that bad-arse.....just friggen awesome :shock:
TOR
tor lives

Postby davecana » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:43 pm

As we have swung to cars again, on a civil aircraft forum, :roll: , this is what I would like to own one day. Not a V8, but a V12, which are just smooth engines. :D
I'd happily replace my BMW 750iL for one of these, but I'd also accept either a current Charger or Challenger from the Mopar stables.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw- ... 3638o.html
davecana

Postby tor lives » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:48 pm

davecana wrote:As we have swung to cars again, on a civil aircraft forum, :roll: ,

Ahhhhh yeah. I am a car guy and this is my site so I would envisage that there will NEVER be a problem talking cars on this site :D . That's what the Crew Lounge is for, (same as the Back Bar on AMI).
You can talk about what ever you want in the Crew Lounge.
TOR
tor lives

PreviousNext

Return to Crew Lounge