Redbull at it again

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Redbull at it again

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:43 am

Whilst you may think it is a bullshit stunt mate repeatedly, I think it was pretty cool. Did it contribute to aviation? Not in the slightest. Was there wow factor? Hell yes. So something could've gone wrong. Shit happens. The same could be said of Chuck Yeager, Charles Lindberg, Steve Fossett, Amelia Earhart and of course the Wright Brothers. But wait. OMFG these people are heroes for being pioneers in aviation. Yes some did contribute to aviation. But guess what? Whether ya like it or not these same people took extraordinary risks doing what they did. Was there a "necessary risk" in what they did? No there wasn't. Did they HAVE to do what they did? No they didn't. They did what they did because they could and because they wanted to do something that no one else had done. I dare say a lot of planning etc would've gone into their adventures to mitigate as much risk as possible. Some didn't get away with it unfortunately. As far as the very sad 707 incident I can't comment as I don't know much about it. To answer your question "Was the PIC the most appropriate driver to be doing these things?" I'd say no this dude wasn't the appropriate pilot given all the dumb things he did on the day. All the training in the world can't fix stupidity. I understand that this incident is a personal one but you have to look at each situation with an open mind mate. This idiot killed a few people that day :( However only the 2 people flying through the hangar would've been killed if it had have gone to shit. I don't have a drama with people wanting to do stupid shit. As long as they are the only ones that will get hurt then go for it I reckon. Just don't take other people with you. Like I said, it's human nature to push the boundaries and that's why there's a Guinness World Records book. As far as the A380 under the bridge. Well it'd have to NOT break down for starters :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Tony P » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:12 am

I wonder if that cat knew the risks involved? It wasn't wearing a high-vis so probably not. CASA will be after him for sure.

Just to point out my point again. There were no "aeros" involved. Croppies do this shit everyday with less margin. Yes they buy the farm on occasion but as that's what they want to do and know the risks involved. What about those school girls crossing the road in QLD yesterday? Can't wrap yourselves in cotton wool.

Anyhow I think this is the only place on the interwebs who are complaining about it. I thought it was fantastic.
Last edited by Tony P on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby tor lives » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:15 am

We can all be flippant about unneccessary risk in aviation....right up to the bit where you are attending funerals!!!
I think I have made my views clear on this one, so I might leave it at that.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Tony P » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:21 am

Ray, did you not read their interviews? These guys are professionals. If it was "risky" they were not going to do it. They did it over 10 times. It wasn't a spur of a moment thing.
I'll leave it there too and if anyone has not seen it, check out the 360 view.
http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsport ... clip-video
Scroll down.
You don’t concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results. No risk is too great to prevent the necessary job from getting done- Chuck Yeager.
Tony P

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:28 am

Flippant? Not likely mate. I'm done. No more "silly' vids from me :oops:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby F-27pax » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:57 am

I’m thinking about Ray’s PS about flying an A.380 under Sydney Harbour Bridge and wondering why it will not be done.

The answer is, because it would counter-productive to do so. People fly in A.380s because they believe that they are as safe as is humanly possible to make them, so people trust their lives to them. Most people rightly understand that flying is an inherently dangerous business but the airline industry has built up such a reputation for safety that people are willing to fly despite this knowledge. So, doing anything with an A.380 that came close to suggesting that they were less than completely safe would detract from that aura of safety that airlines work so hard to maintain (most of the time and in most airlines anyhow)

On the other hand, the Red Bull stunt depends on the natural danger of flying for its success. It looks more dangerous than it actually is but the more dangerous it looks the better the result is in capturing attention for the sponsor. Red Bull flying only happens because it enhances the popularity of the product it is advertising. If this kind of flying did not increase sales of the product there wouldn’t be any such flying. The probable reason that the pilots involved in the stunt did what they did was because they would be out of a well paying job if Red Bull wasn’t sponsoring them. If the company thought up the stunt the pilots had to make a judgement call weighing up the risks against the benefits. If they thought it up, they also had to weigh up the benefits to them against the possible risks before promoting it to the sponsor. Of course, these guys might fly mainly for the thrill of it and did this stunt simply because it could be done, but Red Bull would have seriously considered whether or not they wanted to be associated with such a dangerous stunt to promote the brand and it wouldn’t have happened on such a scale without that company’s support.

I suspect that the reason most of us object to this is because we come - or came - from the side of aviation which needs to promote the safety of flying over it’s potentially dangerous and thrilling side. Almost naturally, we reacts strongly against anything that could question that aura.

Sorry about the lecture, I occasionally revert to old habits.

Leigh
F-27pax

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:14 am

Wow, some lively discussion in this topic - outstanding! We're all of course allowed to express our opinions - we're all right and we're all wrong! My main beef with this circus stunt is that it's a RB PR exercise. On initially looking at it, I thought yeah, pretty effing crazy, but there is some cool factor there. On further reading/watching all the RB PR that has gone with it - reaction testers, interviews with some crackpot head shrink found in Dublin - what a load of horseshit honestly - that's what lost me completely!

I am no shrinking violet when it comes to risk taking in flying - done plenty of it. Some of it even wakes me up at night in a cold sweat. Did some emergency recovery training once with a guy with 10,000+ hours in Pitts Specials. Try being in a tumbling aeroplane with your eyes closed and hands and feet off everything, then being told to recover - it's pretty interesting! How about doing recovery from a accelerated spin with the altimeter unwinding so fast it's a blur - something like 7000 fpm rate of decent! I have not lived covered in cotton wool sir. I do understand that everything worth doing involves risk. This formation flight through a hangar was taking a lot of risk to sell RB products in my mind - so to me it's not a "pure" exercise in pushing the boundaries of aviation. It is nothing more than a stunt - yes, admittedly a pretty amazing one, but a stunt. This is not shattering the record books for the benefit of aviation and mankind - just to sell more Red Bull.

Dude, you opened this topic with some "insane" flying by Red Bull. So what's the story then? Of course these pilots are super experienced and all the "i's" and "t's" were crossed and pretty well every known issue covered in this exercise - I've never questioned this. There were unknowns - of course there were. At some point, they flew together through that hangar at warp speed for the first time. Reading Paul Bonhomme's comments was interesting. Just the temperature difference between inside the hangar and outside caused a little turbulence until they went through the hangar a couple to times to equalise the air temp inside and out (a "unknown unknown"). Anyway. to me, all it's contributed to aviation is sweet F_CK ALL really. It will most definitely help RB sell more of their product. I just don't like this culture of extreme risk taking that RB promotes - fine getting some of the best pilots in the world to do these circus stunts and label it under the title of "world-first feat in aerobatics" , but to me it's a total horse shit exercise. You cannot put this in the same category as achievements done by some of aviation's greatest test pilots and record breakers. Breaking the speed of sound (officially) is in the same class as two guys flying through a hangar at the same time - really? I'm OK though with suicidal types like Jeb Corliss jumping off mountains in his flying squirrel suit promoting RB :D He's at least not saying it's aerobatics!

I am admittedly a bit gun shy when it comes to appreciating circus stunts. I'm just not a fan of "Barnstorming" circus acts anymore. Cases in point. One of the legendary Pitts Special instructors in this country, one of the very few that offers special training (emergency recovery and advanced spinning) with over 5000 hours in Pitts decided to do airshow work awhile ago and was severely injured a while ago doing a "drunken pilot" routine at a country airshow. He messed up his timing and slammed the Pitts into the ground injuring his back - was it worth it? I have a great memory of sitting under the wing of Tom Moon's Extra 300S at Avalon one year having a great chin wag with he and another flying buddy - it was a cool moment. Some time after this he slammed his Extra into the ground at Temora for reasons unknown to me. As previously mentioned, I recall seeing the incredible flying exploits of Jim Leroy at Avalon doing the most extreme tumbling, hovering and rolling manoeuvres in this Pitts Bulldog. We all just knew from his flying this he could not last doing what he was doing. One day, something would catch him out and it did a few months later tragically. I recall waiting in the queue from hell at Avalon to buy some lunch with my brother whilst Jim was doing his routine above. Brother and I are eyes up watching Jim's amazing performance. Now, 99.9% of the great unwashed in this enormous queue were not even looking up - to witness as it turns out the last time Jim performed in this country. My jaw was on the ground seeing Jim's Bulldog hover, do 540 degree stall turns (think about it), tumble end over end, etc and hardly anyone in this queue was watching. Oh, their heads would turn though if a fast jet blasted by - straight and level in reheat! I just thought to myself, why is this guy risking his life when the bulk of those watching don't give a shit and I'm sure a percentage would even get their rocks off if he crashed! As previously mentioned, another guy I knew died practicing for airshows - a man full of life, great sense of humour, lovely family and it just sucked badly to hear he died this way. That's why I'm over aerial circus stunts.

To me there are risks worth taking when the goal is "pure" like in Unlimited competition aerobatics. There is zero fanfare, zero hype, no TV, no advertising, no product placement - just the world's best aerobatic pilots competing for the honour of being the world's best. I love the purity of this. It's a highly disciplined pastime and the level of skill is phenomenal. There is no money involved (other than whatever the competitors can scramble together as far as sponsorship to offset the enormous cost of training and competing) - just your name appearing in the results table and perhaps a medal at the end for the best of the best. I am in complete awe of what these Unlimited pilots can do. Anything else is just circus stunt/side show to me.

This is Unlimited aerobatics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffOwB_5Q8k

Anyway, all this great discussion has gotten me thirsty. I'm off to the shop to get a six-pack of Red Bull! You know me Paul - I'm just a F.O.S pilot! :lol:

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:15 am

hrtpaul wrote:Flippant? Not likely mate. I'm done. No more "silly' vids from me :oops:

Oh don't be like that - this has been a outstanding discussion -bring 'em on mate! Comrade Adamov likes your Sveta vid! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:38 am

Tony P wrote:Ray, did you not read their interviews? These guys are professionals. If it was "risky" they were not going to do it. They did it over 10 times. It wasn't a spur of a moment thing.
I'll leave it there too and if anyone has not seen it, check out the 360 view.
http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsport ... clip-video
Scroll down.

Hey Tony

You can't be serious about it not being risky? Of course there was risk. Can you imagine aiming at a hangar opening doing close to 300 kph - either knowing you have a guy on your wingtip (and having to allow for this so you do not fly him into the side of the hangar, or as "wingman", where your entire world is nothing more that 100% focusing on the lead aeroplane as it screams towards that hangar, trusting absolutely that the leader is perfectly aligned in the approach. All this is happening ultra fast. There was a first time when they did this together - that would have been interesting! These are very twitchy/sensitive aeroplanes as well.

Honestly, I think it's cool that you like it. I'm just a puritanical a-hole when it comes to anything thrown under the banner of "aerobatics", which this stunt has absolutely nothing to do with. As Leigh mentions in this post, there are no doubt all sorts of commercial pressures being associated with RB plus running their own formation aerobatic team - The Matadors. So it's a win for both RB and the Matadors from a PR point of view - to me it's more a advertorial/product placement exercise to me. Thank goodness it all worked out fine. Matadors should get a few air show bookings out of this and RB could sell a bit more of their product.

Absolutely fascinating hearing everyone's opinions on this event - so varied.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby F-27pax » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Adam, I really liked your comments about aerobatics and the video. I can absolutely see the point in aerobatics and it must be a sheer joy to move around in the sky like that. (Not that I will ever know since my eyes prevent me from getting the most basic licence.) One of my most vivid memories of the Bicentennial Air Show at Richmond and watching an aerobatic display (given by a Russian as I recall) which was breathtaking. The precision of his flying was amazing, it was as though there were invisible rails in the air that he flew along because there was no indecision, faltering or hesitation. I enjoy listening to (and watching) classical pianists and the best of them play with the skill that that pilot showed. He was a true virtuoso and the highlight of the show for me. I didn't see any risk taking at all in his performance although he must have taken some risks in rehearsing and practicing the routine. And, as far as I could see, nobody in the crowd was watching. Their loss.

Leigh
F-27pax

PreviousNext

Return to Crew Lounge