Then and Now L188 Electra

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Then and Now L188 Electra

Postby tor lives » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 pm

scotty100368 wrote:You and your pedantic semantics!! :lol:

Besides, haven't you got an Ansett display to organise?? :D :D :D

Yes and yes :D
I actually intend to build the Indian Ocean Airlines Electra one day, with her VH-rego, so that history doesn't forget this little "foot-note" where Australian Electra operations are concerned.
TOR
tor lives

Re: Then and Now L118 Electra

Postby Graeme H » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:26 am

There was one in CNS in the late 90's parked up for quite a while I was told that possibly Hevilift were going to take it on, not sure if it ever got Australian rego though
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby tor lives » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:31 am

Graeme H wrote:There was one in CNS in the late 90's parked up for quite a while I was told that possibly Hevilift were going to take it on, not sure if it ever got Australian rego though

Photos or any other infro Graeme???
I know there was a Belfast sitting up in CNS for a long while during that period, but I don't recall seeing any Electra
TOR
tor lives

Postby Knotty » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:56 am

Might of been the Charrak one Graeme, I remember it did some fish charters out of CNS . I have great memories of Ansett Air Freight Electra's backing out of the parking bay at Essendon when Tulla was fogged in . I refuelled the Charrak one a few times at Tulla , it had a fairly complicated fuel system from memory, and very slow to refuel . ;) Don't they still hold the record for MEL to SYD ? 56 mins rings a bell , flat out to the airport fence they reckon :o :o
Knotty

Postby RayS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:44 pm

VH-WAL wrote:
RayS wrote:
VH-WAL wrote:Hmmm I do like the old Electra,

but the Welsh model looks a little odd to me, dont know what it is..maybe the nose / cockpit shape?

I had an Electra / Orion conversion once, but sold it to Ray Sepalla years ago.. I still kick myself occasionally over that!

:D :D :D and now I need another one!

Must do the Buffalo Bird along with an Aussie one. Will be keeping an eye out at Expo I think.

I sold it to you for a song you bugger!.. did you ever sell that Transall?

Nope, still got it plus another.... hmmm fire bomber Transalls in Buffalo colours.... talk about mind and thread drift!

Mind you I had a previous Electra conversion that screwed me around as the resin kept sweating and would not take paint. Trashed 2 P-3 kits trying to get it to work and I finally gave in a chucked it.
Ray

RayS

Postby Graeme H » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:02 pm

tor lives wrote:
Graeme H wrote:There was one in CNS in the late 90's parked up for quite a while I was told that possibly Hevilift were going to take it on, not sure if it ever got Australian rego though

Photos or any other infro Graeme???
I know there was a Belfast sitting up in CNS for a long while during that period, but I don't recall seeing any Electra
TOR

My memory is a dodgy thing, so went to the Aussieairliners site mentioned above, which says it did come to CNS, but left, there about 6 months, no photos though, same as the Convair 580 that went through there a bit
My main computer wouldn't turn on this morning, so can't locate his website, but there is a photographer in CNS who goes under the name Sir Stephen who might have photos of it
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Pete » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:
tor lives wrote:Great pics Ray!!
Here is a quick Electra quiz question......can anyone name the last Australian operator of the Electra???
TOR

Was it Barry?

OK, I'll chime in as I have been watching this site for quite some time but can't resist a good game of trivia...it was N360Q operated by the very short lived cargo outfit Charrak (1996)
Pete

Postby tor lives » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:10 pm

Pete wrote:
Cap'n Wannabe wrote:
tor lives wrote:Great pics Ray!!
Here is a quick Electra quiz question......can anyone name the last Australian operator of the Electra???
TOR

Was it Barry?

OK, I'll chime in as I have been watching this site for quite some time but can't resist a good game of trivia...it was N360Q operated by the very short lived cargo outfit Charrak (1996)

Yep.....that's correct Pete. As you are a trivia lover, who was the last Australian civil operator of the 707, (not counting VH-XBA which was flown into the Longreach for the Qantas Founders Museum).
TOR
tor lives

Postby RayS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Ansett Air Freight with B707-330C VH-HTC WFU Dec 1990 (flew in TNT colours)
Ray

RayS

Postby tor lives » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:37 pm

RayS wrote:Ansett Air Freight with B707-330C VH-HTC WFU Dec 1990 (flew in TNT colours)

Nailed it Ray!!!
In fact you will be seeing her in model form this weekend.
TOR
tor lives

PreviousNext

Return to Crew Lounge