Has anyone seen my Mojo?

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Has anyone seen my Mojo?

Postby Wedgetail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 am

Yep, definitely a quartet of 38's in that photo, but who's that ugly f*&#er in the blue shirt? LOL :lol:
Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll go to the naughty corner now.
Wayne.
Wedgetail

Postby tor lives » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:53 am

Wedgetail wrote:Yep, definitely a quartet of 38's in that photo, but who's that ugly f*&#er in the blue shirt? LOL :lol:
Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll go to the naughty corner now.
Wayne.

You speak the truth on all counts.....so no naughty corner for you today :D
At least my shirt is advertising something good. And compared to what I am surrounded by, no man-boobs visible :D .
TOR
tor lives

Postby Wedgetail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Your shirt needs a bit of re-jigging to read, 'I'm dreaming, I've failed 787 times in trying' :lol:
I'll return to the naughty corner and await my thrashing with a wet tram ticket by Madam Lash.
Wayne
Wedgetail

Postby tor lives » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Wedgetail wrote:Your shirt needs a bit of re-jigging to read, 'I'm dreaming, I've failed 787 times in trying' :lol:
I'll return to the naughty corner and await my thrashing with a wet tram ticket by Madam Lash.
Wayne

Once again.....you speak the truth young Wayne. Hanging out with those girls.....I thought it was a dream, and it had nothing to do with a Boeing :lol:
I have to admit though....."Glacier Girl" behind us was also very impressive, but for different reasons :D .
Every aerosexual should have Oshkosh on their bucket list.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Wedgetail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes the restoration of "Glacier Girl" was pure art. I've watched You Tube walk arounds and a pilot cam whilst in flight.
I would have liked the restorer's to have fitted both working turbo's and superchargers, it would have had that absolute glorious original sound then.
With both fitted, when the engines are revved, the sound is as smooth as honey, once heard never forgotten.
I must admit though, that's the best looking ground crew I've seen ever.
Wayne
Wedgetail

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Wedgetail wrote:Your shirt needs a bit of re-jigging to read, 'I'm dreaming, I've failed 787 times in trying' :lol:
Wayne

Wow! Didn't know this side of you Wayne! :oops:
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:
Wayne

Wow! Didn't know this side of you Wayne! Who's a naughty boy then! :oops:

Interesting your comments on the turbo-supercharger sound on the P-38. I wonder are any P-38's fitted out this way? It would add to the running cost significantly I'm guessing with the added boost on the engines. From what I've read/heard, many if not all Merlin owners run with much reduced boost to save engine time - not much over 30". As the Merlin could be boosted to over 60" (max combat through the gate), that's a lot less power at 30". I know those who have the higher boost M-14P engine on aerobatic Suk's, etc with the engine boosted to over 400HP results in a TBO of around 100 hours. So, the lower the boost pressure, the longer engine life.

Hmmm, now I'm going to have to YouTube P-38's and listen for that turbo-supercharger sound!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Wedgetail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi Adam,
The problem with You Tube is that you're not getting the original beautiful smooth whistling sound from the Allison's. Most of the restored birds would probably cost too much to employ both systems.
I think there is one rebuild which uses both systems, once heard from an original never forgotten. I think most have both in place but I can't remember(probably the supercharger) has no inner guts.
From memory, (don't quote me though) I think even the Red Bull P-38 doesn't employ both systems, though, I'm happy to be advised otherwise. Certainly not at full boost anyway.

I have a CD which has an original P-38 engine noise, and it sounds nothing like the present rebuilds, which is a shame. That rising Allison Turbo/Super whine is hairs on the back of the neck for Aeronuts.
My disc is mainly a Bf-109G and to me anyway, it makes the Merlin seem anemic, there is a P-47 as well on this disc, sounds like a bucket of bolts emptied into a cement mixer on full chat.

Cheers
Wayne
Wedgetail

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Wedgetail wrote:Hi Adam,
The problem with You Tube is that you're not getting the original beautiful smooth whistling sound from the Allison's. Most of the restored birds would probably cost too much to employ both systems.
I think there is one rebuild which uses both systems, once heard from an original never forgotten. I think most have both in place but I can't remember(probably the supercharger) has no inner guts.
From memory, (don't quote me though) I think even the Red Bull P-38 doesn't employ both systems, though, I'm happy to be advised otherwise. Certainly not at full boost anyway.

I have a CD which has an original P-38 engine noise, and it sounds nothing like the present rebuilds, which is a shame. That rising Allison Turbo/Super whine is hairs on the back of the neck for Aeronuts.
My disc is mainly a Bf-109G and to me anyway, it makes the Merlin seem anemic, there is a P-47 as well on this disc, sounds like a bucket of bolts emptied into a cement mixer on full chat.

Cheers
Wayne

Any way you could upload these audio files somewhere (YouTube, Photobucket, etc)? Agreed on the DB engines sounding better than the Merlin. The BMW-801 has a nice sound to it as well. Now, some could say this is a bit of thread drift to poor Troy's original post, but I do not believe so. I think it is our duty to help build up Troy's Mojo and what better than discussion regarding audio files of some of the best piston powered engines ever developed! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Wedgetail » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Adam, I'm not into faceache, bucket of photos or whatever.
I'll see if I can make a copy of the disc and send it off to you. May take a little while but worth the wait.
The Daimler Benz engine note is hair raising. No wonder most WW-II pilots are deaf, as the flight is recorded in the cockpit as well, talk about a racket.
My Dad was a Lancaster pilot and after having 4 Merlins bellowing in his ears that resulting deafness was a fore gone conclusion, he flew Wimpey's before Lancs.

Cheers
Wayne
Wedgetail

PreviousNext

Return to Crew Lounge