Pitts ad

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Pitts ad

Postby tor lives » Thu May 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Conservative Fashions Monthly perhaps :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Fri May 08, 2015 1:22 am

hrtpaul wrote:Australian Penthouse :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure that Adam would have been old enough back then....gonna go with National Geographic.. :twisted: :twisted:
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri May 08, 2015 10:37 am

Couple of "possibles" for which I may have to consider partial credit - not knowing the complete extent of this advertising campaign! Some responses way off the mark - think of the context of the ad and which magazines would be more suited. I'll award 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes - closest to the magazine and year wins and the Award ceremony will be at Expo - will save me some postage! Competition closes Sunday 10th May 2400 hrs. Judges decision is final - I can always be bribed of course! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Fri May 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Business Review Weekly 1983 ish
VH-WAL

Postby tor lives » Sat May 09, 2015 11:58 am

Australian Aviation perhps???
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Sat May 09, 2015 4:45 pm

AOPA magazine???????
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Nicolas_Fantich » Sun May 10, 2015 12:38 am

Well VH-EUG was first registered in Australia in 1979. The aircraft was built a year earlier. The aircraft still exists to this day from what I can tell.

Looking at the hardware that the NSW-based company is offering, it's ancient stuff. It looks very much pre-IBM PC. Can't be much later than the mid 1980's. So saying 1979 to 1981-ish.

As to the periodical/magazine, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............jury's still out on that. I was familiar with Australian mags like 'Aircraft', 'Australian Aviation & Defence Review', 'Australian Flying' during this period and I didn't see any kind of ads like this in those magazines.

I am going to punt away from aviation and go for .................something like Australian Personal Computer which goes back to 1980. I reckon (a b*m-pluck) that the intent of the ad is about the boss and his secretary (of the day) being out of the office having some recreational time available thanks to the new business computer system he's installed/commissioned in his business. Dress codes must have been all over the place in those days ! A total WAG is that the advertising agency or the business itself knew of the owner of the aircraft and sought to get permission to use it as a prop. 'If only I could get out of the office and do more flying', must have been that boss' credo.

So try me for Australian Personal Computer in 1981 or 1982 ?
Nicolas

On the Bench
1/144 Academy Douglas DC-6B - Adria Airways YU-AFF
1/48 Revell North American P-51D Mustang 'Miss America'
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D (Cavalier) Mustang N51RH
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang N64CL 'Miss Van Nuys'
Nicolas_Fantich

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon May 11, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks all for participating in this little bit of fun! The responses have been fascinating actually - some possibles and some so far away from the mark. Nobody hit the target, but not knowing the complete extent of this advertising campaign I have to award some "near misses". If anyone can prove this ad appeared in any other magazines, I will of course honour my commitment to award a prize.

The magazine was Australian PLAYBOY June 1979. I think Hugh Hefner was my hero back then. Surrounded by stunning women, had his own DC-9 and spent his time in and out of his PJ's - sounds pretty ideal huh! How he has lived so long is a testament to modern medicine!

[url][URL=http://s64.photobucket.com/user/Pittsdriver/media/DSCN0128_zpsiokyveve.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Closest to the mark and very likely another magazine to feature this ad is that suggested by Paul - Australian Penthouse. Makes perfect sense that this ad would also have featured in this magazine. Do you recall seeing it Paul? So, 1st Prize goes to HRT Paul - well done and congratulations! You get to choose from either a 1/48 Eduard MiG-21 MF or a 1/48 Valom "Annushka" AN-2. Please let me know.

Second prize goes to Wally as he was pretty close to the time and the magazines he put forward (Bulletin and BRW), which could very well have had this ad. I can't remember as these magazine were not in my list of fav reading/gorking material in my late teens. :oops: 2nd prize for Wally is a very cute little 1/72 AZ-Models Zlin-526.

Third prize goes to Nick for getting the time close and adding some details on this Pitts. EUG must have been the "sister" aeroplane to SZE which I spent many happy hours in a few years ago. So, 3rd prize for Nick is a 1/72 A-Models Pitts S-2. It's so tiny! Hope you have a good set of magnifying glasses!

The absolute high light of my aviation passion/hobby/pastime was achieving my long time dream of getting a Pitts checkout a few years ago. Here's me way back when in SZE, a Pitts Special S-2A - with a bit more hair I might add! This S-2A has the large double bubble canopy and the wider fuselage when compared to the first S-2A version. The later S-2B has the same fuselage, just has the bigger six cylinder AEIO-540 9 litre engine (260 HP), as opposed to the S-2A's AEIO-360 6 litre engine (200 HP).

[url][URL=http://s64.photobucket.com/user/Pittsdriver/media/Picture140_zps034ceac4.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

[url][URL=http://s64.photobucket.com/user/Pittsdriver/media/PittsAdam.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Thanks to all for participating. It was a lot of fun for me to see those responses - got a great chuckle from some of them! Thanks to A/CAM Capt. Ray for letting me indulge myself with this unofficial and ill-conceived competition - all done for a bit of fun and a laugh! I will bring these prizes down to Expo and leave with Ray. Perhaps we can decide on a time when everyone is there and I can formally hand over these prizes.

Cheers

Adam

Photo of prizes.

[url][URL=http://s64.photobucket.com/user/Pittsdriver/media/DSCN0129_zpsx4fulxsj.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Nicolas_Fantich » Mon May 11, 2015 12:16 pm

Just goes to show I was reading the 'wrong' kind of magazines back at that time :cry:

No surprise that Pauly got it :lol: Fits the bill poifectly. Congratulations !

And TY Adam for the indulgence ;)
Nicolas

On the Bench
1/144 Academy Douglas DC-6B - Adria Airways YU-AFF
1/48 Revell North American P-51D Mustang 'Miss America'
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D (Cavalier) Mustang N51RH
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang N64CL 'Miss Van Nuys'
Nicolas_Fantich

Postby VH-WAL » Mon May 11, 2015 12:37 pm

well I'll be zlinned! thankyou!
VH-WAL