Boeing vs Airbus

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Boeing vs Airbus

Postby tor lives » Sun May 08, 2016 9:59 am

Graeme H wrote:And Ray, you only spent a few years as ground staff,.

So what does that mean Graeme???.....what's your inference here, and what's it's relevance to this discussion??
I spent MANY years as crew on BOTH types.
Given that I have occupied both air and ground crew operational and management positions over the past 25 years with a mixed Boeing/Airbus fleet, I can tell you from personal experience which type went U/S more often for me .
I well remember the 737 windscreen problems you mentioned but, as you have pointed out, that was an event that affected the type for just over a year and was rectified relatively quickly....not bad for an aeroplane that has been in continuous production since the 60s. Can Airbus say the same.......for ANY of their product???
And let's not forget.....it wasn't a Boeing that suddenly decided to depart controlled flight and go into a series of uncommanded and violent "mysterious" dives off the WA coast severely injuring, (and in some cases nearly killing), nearly 50 passengers and crew. You might want to ask the Captain and First Officer of that particular aircraft their views on the wonderful product from Toulouse, (I have, and I can't print their rather "colourful" responses here :? ).
Yeah.....I think it is safe to say I am no Airbus fan-boy (although I will concede, the A330-200 is a stylish and good-looking aeroplane. And I always did like the A300 and the A310).
I acknowledge though, this whole subjective debate really is a personal opinion-based "Holden V Ford" type discussion.
TOR
PS: And here is something to ponder in closing .....just how many A380s have been sold in North America???
tor lives

Postby scotty100368 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Graeme H wrote:
Scotty, I hadn't heard about 717 coming back to TSV

We had a meeting this week where it was announced that TSV Qantas 737 services were being scaled back in favour of Qantaslink 717s due to weaker loads.
Qantaslink have selected a contractor (Aerocare, I think?) to do the ground handling for them, so the mainline guys have lost work and some redundancies are forthcoming.

This is similar to what has happened with Qantaslink services in other smaller ports as well as BNE and MEL - our contract here in CBR is coming up for tender renewal later this year!

Sorry for the thread drift - but there was a tenuous Boeing reference ;)

Scott.
CBR
Scott Garard
former QF ramper (Thanks alot AJ!)
now Aust Post van driver
scotty100368

Postby tor lives » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 pm

scotty100368 wrote:
Graeme H wrote:
Scotty, I hadn't heard about 717 coming back to TSV

We had a meeting this week where it was announced that TSV Qantas 737 services were being scaled back in favour of Qantaslink 717s due to weaker loads.
Qantaslink have selected a contractor (Aerocare, I think?) to do the ground handling for them, so the mainline guys have lost work and some redundancies are forthcoming.

This is similar to what has happened with Qantaslink services in other smaller ports as well as BNE and MEL - our contract here in CBR is coming up for tender renewal later this year!

Sorry for the thread drift - but there was a tenuous Boeing reference ;)

Scott.
CBR

Thread Drift away all ya want Scotty :D .....as mentioned elsewhere, some of the best ever threads I have seen or been a part of on this or indeed other model sites have been as a result of thread drift.....it's just like a bunch of mates having a good ol yak about all things aviation down at the pub or at Model Expo, and there is nothing wrong with that. You certainly won't get chastised like a naughty little school boy, threatened with post deletion/thread-lock/banning, or have the dreaded Site-owner/moderator "finger shake" at you on THIS site for thread-drifting.
Yeah....seems like the insidious and relentless "creep" of the 717 is unstoppable. If only it was as reliable as the 737.
Sorry to hear of the redundancies in TVL. Having been a victim of the redundancy "red pen" myself in the past.....my heart goes out to those that have lost their positions. Maybe Aerocare will take them on.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Uncle Julio » Fri May 27, 2016 11:29 am

VH-WAL said...

"Can they fly a manual ILS and can they fly a non precision approach"

Me? Yes on both those answers...with 11,000 hours on Boeing's these things come naturally to me... Hand flown no Flight Director raw data as well just for shits and giggles.. And for good measure with one engine inoperative as well as I've demonstrated in flight simulators for the last 20 years!..
Uncle Julio

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri May 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Uncle Julio wrote:VH-WAL said...

Me? Yes on both those answers...with 11,000 hours on Boeing's these things come naturally to me... Hand flown no Flight Director raw data as well just for shits and giggles.. And for good measure with one engine inoperative as well as I've demonstrated in flight simulators for the last 20 years!..

Welcome Uncle Julio!

Yes, but have you done all this upside down with nothing on the clock but the makers name? :D I always thought any more than one engine was unnecessary! :lol:

Poor jokes aside, seriously though, what do you think of the differing cockpit management/flight control philosophies between these two brands? Yes a very broad question I know. My career background is industrial instrumentation and control and interested in the whole HMI thing, as I am in aeroplanes as well of course! I was once very lucky to get a insight into your world having a "go" on both a A330 and 737-800 sim - thanks to TOR in his previous life, truly a mind boggling and amazing experience for a novice to try out these very different control "philosophies"! I guess pro's & con's could be argued for both the advantages and disadvantages of both. What staggered me was the difference. Are perhaps these differences narrowing say between the A350 & the 787?

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Fri May 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Uncle Julio wrote:VH-WAL said...

Hello Uncle Julio
nice to see you aboard..
just to clarify on my nerves about airbus..
The Air France unrecognised stall down to the ocean, there was at least one other but I dont recall the details. The glitch that caused a Qantas Airbus hurl passengers and crew around the cabin.
I was lucky enough to fly a checkride (as observer) in a A320 sim (Frankfurt) with a Lufthansa crew, I am sure Air France crews would be similarly subjected to this intensive training yet a stall was not recognised for what it was.

With regards to my fears re the hand flown ILS and non precision approaches this is regional (Asian) fear for me the KAL prang at the end of SFO being an example. As for LCCs ( particularly in certain regions) well that provides me with a whole new level of concerns,There are quite a few carriers I wouldn't go near.. 39 years in ATC will do that to you.

hey enough of that lets see some of your models

cheers
wal
VH-WAL

Postby Uncle Julio » Sun May 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Adam... I'll keep it short...don't like to use 5 paragraphs when I can summarise.

1) The emphasis has been about the role of the pilot in the automated cockpit... It should be more about automation in a piloted cockpit..

2) Boeing are evolutionary not revolutionary.

Each Airline/manufacturer has an automation policy..generally based on similar principles... There is allot out there I suggest googling automation policy and looking at Airbus V Boeing... I don't have the time or inclination sorry to go over it all here.

VH-WAL...no offence... Don't care what your preferences on make or airline are, didn't think I mentioned it....but that's ok.. I don't get wrapped round the axle with this stuff.. When not flying I work closely with Boeing and a large airline in the USA... Each to their own, but I do share your concern on some northern hemisphere LCC, not mentioning names.

Don't make models... Don't have the time. Sorry.
Uncle Julio

Postby VH-WAL » Sun May 29, 2016 2:08 pm

thanks uncle Julio.. no offence taken here and none intended your way either Have you ever modelled and just too busy to do so now? I know I had a 20 year lay off from plastic model building as life got in the way
VH-WAL

Previous

Return to Crew Lounge