Tigermoth flight

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: Tigermoth flight

Postby Night-Raptor » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:19 am

I was lucky enough a couple of years ago to be gifted a Tiger flight from Moorabbin, round trip around the CBD and down the length of the bay. Most amazing, awesome, unbelievable experience..... I'm jealous Paul - I'd love to do it again!!
Night Raptor
Because after dark - everything looks good with Tiger Stripes.....
Night-Raptor

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:42 am

VH-GWG and VH-IHU are the two Tigers used for joyflights at Moorabbin. GWG is blue with white pinstriping, and IHU is red with silver wings.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby tor lives » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:52 am

Speaking of Aussie Tiger Moths, who in the hell would carry VH-FAG or VH-RIP on their aeroplane :shock: ...seriously!!!
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Back in 94, I went for a ride in Bill Bennet's Tiger VH-BEN - wonder what has become of it? It was just tremendous, in fact more fun than going for the ride in the T-28D. There is just something so cool about open cockpit flying - leaning your head out into the airstream, the sound and the fact that it is a biplane adds extra coolness to the experience. Lots of footwork required to fly in balance properly, so it's a great pilot maker.

C'mon Paul we want to hear all about your day in a Tiger!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Night-Raptor » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Cap'n Wannabe wrote:VH-GWG and VH-IHU are the two Tigers used for joyflights at Moorabbin. GWG is blue with white pinstriping, and IHU is red with silver wings.

I flew in GWG. Pilot was a top bloke.
Night Raptor
Because after dark - everything looks good with Tiger Stripes.....
Night-Raptor

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Night-Raptor wrote:
Cap'n Wannabe wrote:VH-GWG and VH-IHU are the two Tigers used for joyflights at Moorabbin. GWG is blue with white pinstriping, and IHU is red with silver wings.

I flew in GWG. Pilot was a top bloke.

That's be Lionel. Did my CPL theory with him in about '92 or so, and flew in a Tiger with him in about '94.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Graeme - Yeah no dramas. The pilot had a leather flying helmet and goggles for me anyways. It was a bit cool but still pleasant :)

Nicholas - Why do you ask? Me being an anal retentive L.A.M.E. had a good look over it and I could tell it was very well looked after :)

Ray - I'm on the lookout for a 1/32 kit. You're right about the 1/72 kit. All the detail pics I took would be wasted if I did it in 1/72. I wanna detail the shit out of a 1/32 one that's for sure. And being such a small plane, even a 1/32 example will fit in my cabinet. I was thinking of doing the 1/72 Airfix kit in the same colours and bringing it up to TSV with me to give to Graeme the pilot.

Pics to come. Gotta upload them to Photobucket so I'll do that tonight :)

Oh and just in case you forgot, I went flying in a Tiger Moth yesterday :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:56 pm

tor lives wrote:Speaking of Aussie Tiger Moths, who in the hell would carry VH-FAG or VH-RIP on their aeroplane :shock: ...seriously!!!
TOR

I reckon Damo would take the first rego :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Well it appears that I'm now the proud owner of a 1/32 Tiger Moth thanks to Willy Wong :) Gotta love that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Nicolas_Fantich wrote:So did you check if the lower wing tie rods had been replaced ?

Good gig when you can get one however. Another one to add to the log book ! ;)

Ray's ex-work mate's Tiger down at PCK was grounded for sometime whilst awaiting replacement tie rods after that horrific accident near South Stradbroke Is back in 2013. There was quite a lead time for these replacement tie rods (coming from the UK?). If indeed the Tiger Paul had a ride in had used those s/steel tie rods and they had not been replaced (highly unlikely), then it simply would not have been airworthy. How can it have gotten through it's last Annual without the tie rods being replaced (if indeed it had these s/steel tie rods fitted). Aside from being illegal, I can't see any Tiger owner not complying with that AD - no way - not after that horrible crash in Qld.
Adam the Akrodude

PreviousNext

Return to Crew Lounge