UK Kit purchases

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

UK Kit purchases

Postby VH-WAL » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Before I left on holiday I did a reasonable job of thinning the stash, ridding myself of a few kits which, although I liked, I was unlikely to build as my interests had changed. I said to myself "right, now you will ony buy kits that you absolutely know you will build and build soon."

So soon after my arrival in the UK I went to Duxford where there were a couple of model kit seller stalls..browsing around I found 2 Hasegawa 1/72 kits, a T-38 and a T-34, 8 pounds the pair. They half interested me, they were cheap.. yeah why not.. bought them thought I could do a NASA or Boeing chase T-38 and find a civil scheme for the T-34. On reflection I shouldnt have bought the T-34. Then in the same stall I found a reasonably priced Roden AN12, ooh yes I have plans for one of these so this was bought as well (if I had seen it first I wouldnt have bothered with the other 2!)
Then reading Britmodeller threads I found out about some 1/72 Airfix bargains at "Home Bargains" stores in the UK, various kits selling for 2.99, near where we are living I found a store and picked up 2 Red Arrows Hawks and a Vampire (already have one of these which I was unlikely to build!) so the plans for these are mounted in flight in formation. In my defence these are very attractive little boxes, I could not resist them..jeez only 3 quid what could I do. So now in my touring around the UK I surreptitiously look around for other home bargain stores. Some have sold out others only have soldiers or DUKW kits but at Bishop Auckland I lucked out and found Spitfire 22 and Typhoon 1B kits bought one of each passing on a Dauntless and PR19 kit that was also available. It must be said I probably bought these because of the nice boxes! when am I going to build these??? Then at Old Warden I got sucked in by a Matchbox Stranraer for 7 quid, (there is something about flying boats that grabs me) So in summary my good intents have epically failed.. the only kits I have bought that fitted my criteria were the AN12 and to a lesser extent a 1/72 vacuform Bristol Brittania kit! I am hopeless.
VH-WAL

Re: UK Kit purchases

Postby tor lives » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Great story Wal, and I can certainly relate. In the last two years I have also attempted to try and reduce the number of kits I have (aka Mt Ray-Stash). On reflection though, all I have managed to do is replace old kits with new :? .
And you are not hopeless Wal......you are a modeller !!!! :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:29 pm

Yeah, there have been a few auctions on eBay I've entered and hope I've not won.
DesTROYer

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:12 pm

Anyone know the number for the local "Modellers Anonymous" (or is it "Collectors Anonymous"?) Chapter?
Ansett A330

Postby Ansett A330 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:12 pm

DesTROYer wrote:Yeah, there have been a few auctions on eBay I've entered and hope I've not won.

You too eh?
Ansett A330

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:56 am

oh yeah, I forgot, also have a 1/32 Jungmann waiting for me at home :oops:

and I have an Airfix C-47 I bought last year and didn't have enough room to bring back last year!
VH-WAL

Postby Graeme H » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:30 am

Geez for someone downsizing you sure can collect them, looking forward to the Jungman getting the Wal treatment
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:12 pm

You're like a kid in a candy store Wal! Love these stories - makes me feel soooo much better! As to recent UK kit purchases, I just spent a small fortune on a Grey Matters conversion for the Trumpeter 1/24 Fw-190D-9 (utterly utterly wrong P.O.S!) to convert it into a Fw-190D-13 - ah, 1/32 is for pussies! :D Only perhaps 1 or 2 members here may have any idea what I am writing about. :?
It was either throw out the Trumpeter kit or try to sell it to some unsuspecting fool (and I'm just too nice to do this!), so why not throw more money into a far away future modelling project huh. :?

Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Graeme H wrote:Geez for someone downsizing you sure can collect them, looking forward to the Jungman getting the Wal treatment

hiya Graeme...yeah I am hopeless, gave myself some self therapy / psycho analysis over this.. I asked myself why are you buying these Airfix kits in particular?

my truthful answers:
nice boxes,
cheap,
all new moulds,
really cheap,
sometimes I suffer modelling withdrawal when here in the UK, buying a kit is a quick fix
they are really, really cheap,
the joy of the hunt and finding the things,
and seeing they are so cheap I can't pass them up

in summary I am an obsessed bargain hunting colourful box predator
VH-WAL

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 pm

VH-WAL wrote:
Graeme H wrote:Geez for someone downsizing you sure can collect them, looking forward to the Jungman getting the Wal treatment

hiya Graeme...yeah I am hopeless, gave myself some self therapy / psycho analysis over this.. I asked myself why are you buying these Airfix kits in particular?

my truthful answers:
nice boxes,
cheap,
all new moulds,
really cheap,
sometimes I suffer modelling withdrawal when here in the UK, buying a kit is a quick fix
they are really, really cheap,
the joy of the hunt and finding the things,
and seeing they are so cheap I can't pass them up

in summary I am an obsessed bargain hunting colourful box predator

It's only a bargain if you need it... :P
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Next

Return to Crew Lounge