Best & worst airlines.

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Best & worst airlines.

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:33 pm

Found a interesting survey conducted by Skytrax listing the best and worst airlines in 2015. Here's the link to those interested. Not sure the criteria of the survey - somehow doubt it includes accidents, etc. Kind of staggered that Garuda is in any way shape or form better than QANTAS from a customer perspective, or any perspective for that matter! Over the years, I've pax'd on 9 of the 20 listed as "Best" airlines. Of those I would have to rate BA as the worst experience, but that was a long time ago. Quite surprised Virgin Australia made the top 20. not that they are that bad, but on the occasions I have used this airline I've often found the seats pretty uncomfortable. They have lifted their game a bit in recent times.

My worst experience as a customer would without a doubt have been with Ryan Air. The whole on-line experience is atrocious and the pax'ing experience abysmal. The interior colours must have been chosen to purposely cause eye pain. The seat was worse than anything I've ever experienced in my life - more painful than sitting on 5mm of neoprene rubber in a wooden/fibreglass seat pan as I did in a Laser in the past! Ryan Air purposely make info to the passenger hard to understand/interpret and even find on their website often causing screw ups. For example, you must print your own boarding pass. How is this easily possible as a tourist? Not having a printed boarding pass at check in costs a lot of money with Ryan Air. I think their business practices boarder on deceit in my opinion.

I have pax'd on worse airlines than Ryan Air, but these were more mining charter flights. On one I was offered a VB at 8:00AM on the return flight from the mine. Wimping out, I just wanted a cup of coffee, but the miners coming "off swing" sure hooked in!

What do others make of this list - any better or worse airlines from experience?

http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/best-and-worst-airlines-in-the-world/
Adam the Akrodude

Re: Best & worst airlines.

Postby F-27pax » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:36 am

I like airliners mainly from the outside, sitting inside can be a real pain. Still, of the top twenty airlines I've flown in three - four is you can call Virgin Blue Virgin Australia and five if you call Swissair Swiss International. The others were Qantas, Air NZ and British Airways. The only one I didn't like was Virgin Blue because they treated me as though I lacked a brain, on the other hand I flew Melbourne-Canberra a few times in the Embraer 190s, and that was a pretty good flying experience. The cabin service on Swissair was so polished and European that I was glad to get back to Qantas where it wasn't.

Interesting, isn't it, that the three major Australasian airlines, Qantas, Virgin Australia and Air NZ are all on the list. Do you think that might have to do with where the voters live or are they really that good?

I haven't flown on any of the worst airlines and hope that I never do.

Leigh
F-27pax

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:36 am

Hi Leigh

From my limited experience, I do think we are spoilt here. I've flown on American Airlines and they were pretty bad. I guess there is just the "dirty Greyhound bus terminal" feel in Nth America. The only thing good about Ryan Air I will say it that it was a relatively new aircraft. Outside of that, the passenger experience was just shocking. Jetstar is a quantum leap ahead in customer service when compared to Ryan Air in my opinion.

QANTAS domestically I find brilliant. Last time I flew QANTAS to LAX was very good as well. I think QANTAS has put a great deal of effort into inflight meals in particular. The inflight entertainment as improved as well. It's amazing just what difference seating can make between airlines (I'm talking back in convict class where I usually frequent). I've had probably the most comfortable economy seat ever in a Singa's 777 and then felt jammed into a sardine can on a Emirate's 777 - same aeroplane, big difference in seat to seat spacing and width it seemed.

All that really matters is that we get to our destination in one piece of course! Anything else is just a bonus. ;)

Now for worst terminals - here's some I think are or have been bad.

LAX - a couple of years ago. What a freaking nightmare! Due to Obama's sequestration, only a fraction of customs/immigration staff on the job - massive queues. I've seen bus terminals are advanced than LAX - really back in the dark ages. I think it is supposed to be upgraded in parts since then. LAX just had such a old and rundown look about it - very "3rd world".

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia - hardly a terminal at all. Spent 4 hours going through customs. All the Saud's of course breezed through without so much as a glance from customs. All we "infidels" had our luggage torn apart over 4 hours.

Cork, Ireland. Having a Irish wife, I've been a few times to this airport. When the "Celtic Tiger" was roaring, a new terminal was built costing something like 160 Million Euro - complete with three air bridges - nice! It is a multi-level terminal designed for air bridge use. Only problem is that none of the airlines will pay to use them so they have never been used! I have once been caught on the apron walking out to a aeroplane carrying all the family's bags in torrential rain and gale force winds. So, I have shaken my fist at the heavens cursing the weather god and the Cork Airport management as I've gotten soaked to the skin. In my haste to get on-board (last!), 4 of the 5 boarding passes were blown out of my hand as I started to walk up the stairs to the aircraft. The Aer Lingus FA asked - "Where are your boarding passes?". I replied " Oh, about 2 miles that way now I guess". She just looked at me and said "Sit down". My wife years ago travelling with two of our kids had her flight delayed by 24 hours because a local farmer cut the airport computer data cable with his JCB! How "Irish" is that!

So yeah, I do think we are spoilt as passengers in this country.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Virgin seats uncomfortable? Obviously you haven't flown Jetstar. I'd rather they give me a milk crate to sit on. Virgin seats by comparison are as comfy as a lounge and don't hurt my back after a 3hr flight unlike Jetstar only makes 20min before my back hurts.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Jetstar Considers Options for Re-configured 787s

:D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:50 am

hrtpaul wrote:Virgin seats uncomfortable? Obviously you haven't flown Jetstar. I'd rather they give me a milk crate to sit on. Virgin seats by comparison are as comfy as a lounge and don't hurt my back after a 3hr flight unlike Jetstar only makes 20min before my back hurts.

Yeah I've flown Jetstar when some cheap arse client books me on them - GRRRR! :twisted: I think Ryan Air must purchase the worn out flogged seats from Jetstar - they are worse! I do agree with you totally. Jetstar would have the worst airliner pax seats in Australia from my experience to date. :cry:
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:51 am

tor lives wrote:Jetstar Considers Options for Re-configured 787s

:D
TOR

What's this mate - a C-17 into Kabul or Baghdad?
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:54 am

Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:What's this mate - a C-17 into Kabul or Baghdad?

More likely a typical Jetstar or Tiger Air MEL-SYD sector :lol:
TOR
tor lives

Postby scotty100368 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Look at all that wasted space that could be earning extra dollars !!!

Could stuff alot more in if they did this: https://usattravel.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/airbus-reveals-idea-to-make-airplane-seating-even-worse-stack-fliers-on-top-of-each-other/

Bags not being someone on the bottom if the guy above you farts... :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the larger pic, that burly guy in the white top towards the right side looks a lot like Ray S. - must have snapped him on his last round trip to Hobbyco! ;) ;) ;)

Scott.
Scott Garard
former QF ramper (Thanks alot AJ!)
now Aust Post van driver
scotty100368

Next

Return to Crew Lounge