E-flight.

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

E-flight.

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon May 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Siemens have developed a new electric motor that pumps out 260kW from only 50kg in weight! Now if the battery weight can be kept down using Lithium batteries (1/4 weight of lead/acid batteries), this is amazing stuff! Look, I do love those antiquated products made by Lycoming and Continental (well, not so much the Continental engines!), but it is high time for some new technology in light aeroplane engines. Revving at the right RPM for the prop, no reduction gearbox is required, saving more weight.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/aerospace/news/record-breaking-motor-could-make-large-electric-aircraft-a-reality-claims-siemens/1020106.article
Adam the Akrodude

Re: E-flight.

Postby hrtpaul » Mon May 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Nothing wrong with a continental at all. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby F-27pax » Mon May 18, 2015 5:21 pm

It doesn't seem right when the propeller is bigger than the engine that drives it!
F-27pax

Postby Knotty » Mon May 18, 2015 6:31 pm

How will the oil company's handle this ???
Knotty

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed May 20, 2015 10:12 am

Knotty wrote:How will the oil company's handle this ???

I think they'll not be worried at all about eventually giving up on 100LL fuel for lighties and GA. Turbo diesel engines in aviation applications is on the rise too. The brilliant thing about diesel engines is that they do not loose remotely as much power with altitude as do petrol 4-stroke engines. That's why the Germans used them in high altitude recon aircraft like the Ju-86 during WW2.

I think the transition from petrol to electric & diesel engines in lighties and GA will be a slow one, but it will happen. Ethanol is being experimented with as well. So, it's inevitable that 100LL will one day be phased out I think. It will be cost of production versus the alternatives that will push this. As volumes decrease, costs will go up until it's no longer worthwhile.

I for one would not mind at all zooming around in a little carbon fibre electric powered freedom machine! Little noise, no vibration and no fuel & oil stink! I have been stunk out by 100LL when the fuel tank cracked in the Laser. Too much negative G resulted in a face full of the stuff. It was a little alarming to say the least! The Laser had a lot of ventilation, so the fumes cleared in seconds, but still....
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Wed May 20, 2015 10:34 am

Adam the Akrodude wrote: no fuel & oil stink!

Typical pilot. They definitely don't like getting their soft hands and their pretty whites shirt dirty. We can't have that now can we :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed May 20, 2015 10:45 am

Absolutely right Paul. All that yucky icky oil inside the engine cowl one has to deal with when doing a pre-flight one ends up getting on ones cool flight suit - uncool! Continentals, Lycomings - future boat anchors I say! :D

Electric engines - 100% instant torque - can't beat that! Now if they can get Lithium batteries to not catch fire - that would be a feature.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby tor lives » Wed May 20, 2015 11:06 am

hrtpaul wrote:
Adam the Akrodude wrote: no fuel & oil stink!

Typical pilot. They definitely don't like getting their soft hands and their pretty whites shirt dirty. We can't have that now can we :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Ahhhhhh so THAT'S why I am constantly being called to the Arrivals gates......to deal with their issues and fix their problems :?. Now it all makes sense. I am now convinced that the final point of the 737/A330 shut-down checklist is : Now call the Airport Manager and have a whinge.....about anything you can think of.
Just kidding lads :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Wed May 20, 2015 4:56 pm

tor lives wrote: Now call the Airport Manager and have a whinge.....about anything you can think of.
Just kidding lads :D
TOR

It's the first subject taught on the ATPL theory course, and the last item on the ATPL flight test. Not being enough of a prima donna is an instant fail.. :lol:
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Return to Crew Lounge