A bit of fun - Aussie Airline Quiz

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: A bit of fun - Aussie Airline Quiz

Postby scotty100368 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Okay, here are the answers:

1. What was the year, route and aircraft type of Ansett's first ever service?

1936, Hamilton-Melbourne, Fokker Universal.

2. Besides KLM, which only other airline operated the DC-5?

Australian National Airways. The U.S. Pennsylvania Central Airlines (PCA) ordered them but later cancelled in favour of more DC-4s.

3. Which previous Qantas CEO (now deceased) had an aircraft named in his honour recently?

James Strong.

4. Trans Australia Airlines (TAA) was a government-run airline that was created in what year?

1946, after the Australian National Airways Commission came into existence.

5. Who originally created and was first CEO of Compass Airlines (Mk 1)?

Brian Grey. Compass failed due to undercapitalisation.

6. What aircraft type did Ansett call the Skystar?

Airbus A320.

7. What was rather unique about the first batch of Boeing 767s received by Ansett that later lead to a dispute with crew?

Built with conventional flight engineer's station (3-man flight crew) that was being phased out with other carriers. The adoption of 2-man flightdeck design with the arrival of newer aircraft meant the F.E. was to be made redundant.

8. Qantas used HS.125s to train pilots for what other type?

Boeing 707. The flightdecks were suitably modified to simulate the Boeing configuration.

9. In the 1960s, the two-airline policy compelled TAA to buy a fleet of Lockheed L-188 Electras to match Ansett instead of another aircraft type - but what was the type TAA controversially wanted to buy?

Sud Aviation Caravelle. TAA had planned to re-equip with the revolutionary Caravelle pure-jet but as Ansett felt this was too advanced at that stage for their own needs, both airlines were required to purchase the Ansett preference.

10. In what year will Qantas celebrate its centenary?

2020. Qantas was founded in Winton, Queensland on 16th November 1920, second only to KLM (founded 1919) as the oldest surviving airline in the world.

11. Who were the three gentlemen who founded Qantas?

Sir Hudson Fysh, Paul McGinness, Sir Fergus McMaster. All 3 gentlemen have been honoured by having aircraft named after them repeatedly during the airlines history.

12. What two airlines were merged to form Regional Express (Rex) Airlines in 2002?

Hazelton Airlines (Orange) and Kendell Airlines (Wagga Wagga).

13. Which international airline did Qantas absorb in 1954?

British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines (BCPA). They were based in Sydney and operated flights across the Pacific Ocean to the USA and Canada. They went into decline following a fatal accident involving a DC-6 on approach to San Francisco in bad visibilty in late 1953.

14. What two airlines did Qantas acquire their Short Sandringham fleet from?

TEAL (2 Mk 4s) and BOAC (3 Mk 5s).

15. What aircraft type was operated by Compass Airlines Mk 2?

MD-80 series. (2 MD-83s and 3 MD-82s to be exact)

16. During the pilots' dispute in 1989-90, the RAAF provided a relief service using C-130s and other transport types. What airline moniker did they give themselves?

RAAF Airlines. There was some mention of Wombat Airlines, but this was the unofficial name of Ansett's L-188 night-time cargo operations.

17. What aircraft type did Qantas use during WW2 to provide the "Double Sunrise" service?

Consolidated Catalina.

18. MacRobertson Miller Airlines (MMA) became a well known West Australian airline from 1934, however it did not start there. What route was it's initial (1927) service?

Adelaide-Broken Hill. The airline was established by Horrie Miller with the backing of chocolate millionaire Sir Macpherson Robertson.

19. On 16 October 1964, the Australian domestic jet age began when the first Boeing 727s for Ansett-ANA and TAA landed at Essendon Airport (broadcast live on local TV) only several minutes apart. Which landed first and how was it determined?

A coin toss determined that the Ansett land first.

20. The QANTAS Sydney-London route is/was known as the "Kangaroo Route", but it has nothing to do with the Qantas logo. How did it get its name?

Originally the route involved numerous stops along the way, or "hops", hence the Kangaroo name.

Ta-da !!!! - How'd you all do?

I might do another in the future some time... I better get back to my decal projects for now!

Cheers!

Scott.
Scott Garard
former QF ramper (Thanks alot AJ!)
now Aust Post van driver
scotty100368

Postby hrtpaul » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:39 pm

I only knew about 4 out of all those :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby RayS » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Great idea Scotty, reminds me of the old club Trivia nights.

I was watching a series on Foxtel call Air Australia. Most of what you asked had been covered in that series. Buggered if I could remember most of it though
Ray

RayS

Previous

Return to Crew Lounge