I'm back!

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

I'm back!

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Just off the aeroplane from a family trip to Ireland. Attended a big wedding (wife's youngest sister, this making this trip a "must-do"!). I did manage to down a few Guinness's whilst there - hey, when in Rome right!
I managed to sneak away from the fam for a couple of days. My ancestors were calling, so I went to the UK for 2 days, mainly to see Westminster Abbey (overwhelming!) and spend more time up at the IWM Duxford museum. I had been to Duxford back in 1997 and it was a flying trip with me literally running from hangar to hangar. This trip was a bit better, as I had two hours on-site this time, but sadly discovered even this amount of time is still not enough :cry: Duxford I'm sure all those reading this who have been there is mind-blowing! Last time I visited, the American museum had not been built. I have finally realised a dream and touched a SR-71! :D The ol' Habu was dusty with the bang seats and engines removed for display, but what a proud bird she still is! It was as mentioned a dream come true to see this incredible aeroplane up close and it still very much does not look of this planet. Kelly Johnson and his team were just so way ahead of themselves with the SR.
I got to walk through the Concorde there, this one being the "101" bird, the first pre-production test aeroplane. It was used for icing testing amongst other tests. It is full of instrumentation, which was of great interest to me. I also got to spend time with another of my all time fav aeroplanes, the E.E. Lightning F.1. It still looks like it's doing Mach 2 standing still. This is the ex-74 Sqn bird with the tiger head on the side.

Anyhoo, lots more to report on my Duxford visit. I will post photos soon!

Still a very much jet-lagged Adam :roll:
Adam the Akrodude

Re: I'm back!

Postby Ericg » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Glad you had fun Adam, now about time you glued some plastic together!

I have a Lightning f1 brewing that should be on the table come Expo for you to look at mate. Pretty sure the one you saw is the one I am using for reference photos.

Eric.
Ericg

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Adam.....i'm glad you got to duxford.....it is an amazing place.....did you get to see the new airworthy Blenheim?
oz rb fan

Postby F-27pax » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Ah, a Lightning!! The best looking aeroplane to ever take wing, in my humble opinion anyhow. I always look for Lightning models on the tables at Expo and there are always a few. I'm looking forward to seeing a F.1 for once. In what markings? 74 Squadron? I haven't been to the RAF Museum at Hendon for years but when I was there the highlight was a F.6 in the Barley Grey scheme pushed in straight off the flightline. Fantastic!!
F-27pax

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Eric!

Yes you are absolutely right! Time is my enemy at the moment. Customers are screaming at me at the moment to come to site - looks like I'm back to PNG soon. Loving your F.1 (A?). Will yours be a F.1 or F.1A?

Pretty sure you saw my 1/48 Frightning. This kit of course is a piece of cake when compared to what is required to fix the Trumpeter offering. I greatly complicated my build by adding lots of a/m stuff - which almost caused me to smash it! You are doing once again masterful stuff on yours. If that guy on LSM ever finishes his aftermarket kits for the Trumpeter F.1/A, I'll cheat and buy those bits. Have you any word whether those bits will ever reach the market? The canopy is way too "bulby" in the Trumpy offering. Will you live with it, or make your own? Great work fixing the shape of the lower fuse "slipper" fuel tank.

The Duxford Frightning is a 74 Sqn bird, like mine below. I've a feeling it was the very aeroplane that "Taffy" Holden had his accidental t/o in (without the canopy, pinned bang seat plus only some basic flight training!). I'll have to check on this, but have a vague idea it's that very bird. It's my second time seeing this aeroplane having visited Duxford back in 1997 without a camera. What a dream it must have been to fly one!

Must watch viewing for any Lightning fan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3xVAxBM4RI
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi Paul

Yes I saw the Blenheim. It had a tarp over the canopy, but did I think take a photo. I'll upload them soon.

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Great. There goes the neighborhood :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:12 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Great. There goes the neighborhood :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Down boy! Or, I won't post the pic's of the F-4J at Duxford! :evil:

Then again, when you're right, you're right! I'm sure the neighbours loved the peace and quiet whilst the kids and dog were away! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Ericg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:01 am

Hi Adam,

It is an F1. I have back dated the cockpit, and removed the wiring conduits from the side of the fuselage. I have also
Modified the windshield and practically every thing else about the model so far. Will be one of three British twin engine aircraft that I will bring to expo with me. I did get in touch with Ian and offered my advice regarding the parts and he has taken it on board and looked at them again.

Eric
Ericg

Return to Crew Lounge