CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Re: CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby BradG » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:42 pm

I doubt the PR XIX will fly again. No doubt that engine got shock loaded, if it's done serious damage that will be the end of that, cos finding single shaft Griffon engines is like finding a Unicorn these days.
BradG

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:03 pm

There's plenty in Burma, I heard...
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Postby oz rb fan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 am

BradG wrote:I doubt the PR XIX will fly again. No doubt that engine got shock loaded, if it's done serious damage that will be the end of that, cos finding single shaft Griffon engines is like finding a Unicorn these days.

easier than you'd think......that motor started as a griffon 57's........a Shackleton motor...just the reduction case replaced....same conversion as done on the RAN firefly and all the BBMF griffon spits as the shack motors last longer....10 years or so it will be flying again.......not sure about the pilot though ....it was his first first in the spit...probably his last...the TFIX will be back in a few weeks airframe is fine just an engine swap,its pretty much a new airframe anyway.
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 pm

BradG wrote:I doubt the PR XIX will fly again. No doubt that engine got shock loaded, if it's done serious damage that will be the end of that, cos finding single shaft Griffon engines is like finding a Unicorn these days.

You could very well be right but a little too early to say don't you think? Prop strike was on grass/dirt and it's a composite prop - not metal against concrete or bitumen, so shock loading may not be too bad? Engine will get a bulk strip and all bits go through NDT/X-Ray. What is in no doubt that it will be a expensive rebuild, but that's what insurance is all about! ;)

Why are you so anti seeing them fly Brad? There are shit loads of Spitfires in museums around the world and a very healthy business rebuilding these warbirds employing many hundreds of people around the world. If it wasn't for wealthy enthusiasts, there would be no Spitfires or anything else similar in this class flying anymore and wouldn't that be sad. There is simply no comparison seeing a live aeroplane versus something in a museum. There is room and a need for both of course. I totally agree that very significant aircraft and very rare aircraft should not be flown and preserved - when only one or very few left.

Let's see if it gets rebuilt - sad if not, but all going well it will grace the skies once again.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:51 pm

BTW the MKIX flew into duxford yesterday.
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 am

Everyone see that a Thunderbirds F-16D flipped over on the ground in the US? A 30 kt gust blew it over apparently. That narrow gear has caught out the F-16 a few times before. As I understand it, both crew are OK.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:22 am

They should ground 'em and stick 'em in a museum..
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Previous

Return to Crew Lounge