Just sayin

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Just sayin

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:38 pm

So the VLATs/LATS are destined to make a welcome return to our shores again this fire season (good to see that common sense continues to prevail).
Doesn't seem that long ago that a bunch of "experts" in this field were vocally, cynically, and condescendingly telling me how wrong and ignorant I was with my views on this issue.
They are not that vocal these days......just sayin :lol: :lol:
TOR
tor lives

Re: Just sayin

Postby Knotty » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:51 pm

That's because they have been proven wrong !! For the self proclaimed CFA air boss expert to not even know that the air cranes were in the country a couple of years ago ,sort of sums up the expertise side of it .!! These are people who state an opinion and tell you that you WILL believe it !!! YEAH RIGHT !! :roll: :roll: just because they said so . :roll: :roll:
Knotty

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:17 pm

Knotty wrote:That's because they have been proven wrong !! For the self proclaimed CFA air boss expert to not even know that the air cranes were in the country a couple of years ago ,sort of sums up the expertise side of it .!! These are people who state an opinion and tell you that you WILL believe it !!! YEAH RIGHT !! :roll: :roll: just because they said so . :roll: :roll:

Yeah.....I remember that little event so well. I think it is fair to say the old credibility took a bit of a hit that day :D , (and how embarrassing for the individual concerned). And all he had to do was read the bloody newspaper :D .
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:32 pm

That's a good thing, although it still doesn't solve the problems of excessive fuel loads being allowed to pile up. Limited fuel means limited fire and we should be expanding burn offs, not pandering to green policy.
BradG

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:38 pm

BradG wrote:it still doesn't solve the problems of excessive fuel loads being allowed to pile up. Limited fuel means limited fire and we should be expanding burn offs, not pandering to green policy.

Absolutely agree Brad!!!
As the fire seasons get longer and more severe in intensity, it's time for the greenies to get out of the bloody way and let common sense prevail. You are indeed correct, it is the basic fire triangle we are talking about here.....no fuel = no fire!!
I would also suggest that it is perhaps time for organisations such as the CFA to overhaul traditional thinking and mentality, and embrace new and proven technologies such as the routine deployment of modern VLAT/LAT platforms.
TOR
tor lives

Postby BradG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:14 pm

I think they slowly are, although I am a big fan of the helitankers. Each has their use, the VLAT in volume and the choppers with quick turn around.
BradG

Postby tor lives » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:05 pm

BradG wrote:I think they slowly are, although I am a big fan of the helitankers. Each has their use, the VLAT in volume and the choppers with quick turn around.

Indeed.....just like any air war you need different platforms for different purposes and functions. There is no one "silver bullet" solution when it comes to fighting fires from the air. Every asset from the smallest bambi bucket-equipped chopper to the largest VLAT has it's place and role to play, as has again been dramatically demonstrated in the USA in these past few weeks.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:53 pm

The word I heard on the radio in this regard that most stuck out was that these tankers are "critical" - guess that says it all doesn't it.
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Crew Lounge