Goodbye VH-ABW

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Goodbye VH-ABW

Postby Cap'n Wannabe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Some sad news for me today - I had it confirmed that the Cessna 172 I learnt to fly in was written off in an incident a few months ago....VH-ABW. I'm surprised how this has hit me - I mean, it's only an aircraft, right? I was fortunate enough to get some walkaround photos about 18 months ago, from which I'll be making some decals for my 1/20 Nichimo kit, but I never got to fly her again, which I'm kicking myself I didn't do while I had the chance. I think I'll give her to the aero club once I'm done and she's had her showing at Expo.
Pretending to do it TAC style with the big boys since 1987
Also, we don't need no steenkin' VLATs!
Cap'n Wannabe

Re: Goodbye VH-ABW

Postby tor lives » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:04 pm

I get where you are coming from Damo.
I remember seeing the photos of RAAF Boeing 707-338C A20-627 being mercilessly hacked to pieces and cut up. That affected me to the point where I felt a real sense of sadness, loss, and anger. I think these aeroplanes that we love so much are more than "just aircraft". When you have a passion for aviation, certain aircraft that have played a role in your life take on a personality all their own and, indeed, it is almost as if a relationship and bond can exist between you and that aircraft.....so I get why you would be feeling a little melancholy on the news of the destruction of Alpha Bravo Whiskey.
TOR
PS: she was certainly a good-looking little Cessna
tor lives

Postby BradG » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:44 pm

If you wanna help preserve some aircraft, I just happen to know a museum that could get your hands dirty lol ;)
BradG

Postby tor lives » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:49 pm

BradG wrote:If you wanna help preserve some aircraft, I just happen to know a museum that could get your hands dirty lol ;)

Can I play with that 1:1 Boeing ya just got :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Sorry to hear mate. The circuit breaker on the "Land-O-Matic" controller must have been on the fritz? :roll:

Need to look forward - to fly real aeroplanes - the ones with tail wheels! :D
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Crew Lounge