and now for something COMPLETELY different.

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

and now for something COMPLETELY different.

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Last year, a month or so before Christmas, my sister asked if I would build build a doll house for her middle daughter. Who was I to say no to that cutie. There was no time to get it built for christmas, but her birthday is on the 26th of April, so I said no problem. I ordered the kit from a group called Greenleaf, based on the model requested by my sister. It arrived and in early January I got to work. Man, I can't say it was difficult, it was laser cut from wood and besides some sanding and following the instructions closely and in order (nothing i wasn't used too), but getting the pieces painted in the right order in paint that wouldn't just get sucked into the wood, was a challenge, especially the white. I tried undercoating the pieces first, then airbrushing, rattle can, then finally I just brushed some Tamiya gloss white enamel that I accidentally bought.

Anyway long story short, It's finished, and now I can get back to real modelling. It was a fun build, but not again, for a while anyway.

DesTROYer

Re: and now for something COMPLETELY different.

Postby tor lives » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:56 pm

That is fantastic Troy.....is there no end to your modelling skills, talents, and abilities??. You have this uncanny knack of turning your hand to anything and producing outstanding results.
TOR
tor lives

Postby Wedgetail » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:22 am

How cool is that, well done Troy and I'm sure the recipient will love it.
A great build as well and certainly colourful. Did it pass Council Inspection,
Or is that booked in for the 26th of April?

Cheers
Wayne
Wedgetail

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks guys. On or around the 26th. Maybe Wednesday the 27th I'll invite myself over for dinner.
DesTROYer

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:57 am

Hey Troy

Great work! My only critique would be to question use of clear windows in the upper floor. If this dolls house is next to any other dolls houses, frosted/opaque windows may be needed if there is a chance of over-looking/privacy issues with the neighbours. Sorry - kind of a sore point at the moment with a development to start next to our house in the near future. :)

It is cool being able you use one's modelling skills for other purposes - I do use this line on the wife when assisting kids with school projects! :D Hey, ya gotta try and build up "Brownie points" when you can! :D

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Adam the Akrodude wrote:My only critique would be to question use of clear windows in the upper floor. If this dolls house is next to any other dolls houses, frosted/opaque windows may be needed if there is a chance of over-looking/privacy issues with the neighbours. Sorry - kind of a sore point at the moment with a development to start next to our house in the near future. :)

I could hit them with a flat coat.

I recommend stain glass windows for upstairs :D
DesTROYer

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Delivery to another happy customer complete
DesTROYer

Postby tor lives » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Good on ya mate.....you have clearly made one little lady very happy.
Nice job and the smile it has generated is priceless.
TOR
tor lives

Return to Crew Lounge