Rocket launch at Footscray!

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

Rocket launch at Footscray!

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:16 am

OK, this is a toy rocket launch, but it is really cool! My brother is the mad scientist of the family and when growing up, he was the one undoing stuff to find out how it worked - clocks, radios and in particular his toy robots!

For his birthday awhile ago I bought him a toy solid fuel rocket. These are absolutely awesome and the sound incredible! When you light these puppies off, the whole park will look in your direction. First time my brother launched this rocket, it ended up in some guys yard as the winds aloft blew the rocket some distance from the launch point - opp's!

So what does my brother do not being content with the standard fit out of this off-the-shelf launch system - well he has to add a $6 camera from China! Here's the result which I think is UBER-COOL!

In your face NASA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLH3PsQf-eo
Adam the Akrodude

Re: Rocket launch at Footscray!

Postby RHB785 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Looks exciting Adam. How high do these things go? that looks like quite a ways up to me. There is a model flying strip on Ash Island in the Hunter River near Hexham. Models are limited to 400' as the island lies within the Williatown Military Control Zone. Most of the models have aneroids which cut power and nose the model down when it gets to 400' so it can't intrude into the Control Zone. I find it interesting the uses to which modern electronics can be put because of miniaturisation. All this electronic stuff packed into an airframe that itself only weighs a few kilograms.

Regards,
RHB.
RHB785

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:52 am

I have one of these Night Vapors and it has a flying weight including battery of 16-17g. Image It's purely an indoor flyer but it's great fun. With the bigger battery (160mAh) fitted I get 21-22min flight time. It's not overly fast but then you don't want something too fast indoors anyways :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:15 am

Oh that Night Vapor is cool Paul. I want one!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:02 pm

About $150 RTF plus big batteries from Hobbyking for $1.50 ea :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Return to Crew Lounge