My Pennine Way Adventure

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

My Pennine Way Adventure

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:30 pm

Doing the Pennine Way this year, 267 miles of walking. I plan to deviate off track where feasible and visit some aircraft wreck sites along the way. I received my weatherproof OS Maps in the post yesterday and my Garmin GPS SD card map of the UK today so I was able to sit down and plot my route and the positions of aircraft wrecks along the way.
Here is a map of the first days walk finishing at Torside. (does this name sound familiar to anyone? or is it just me?)
Imagepw day 1 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr
A Liberator, B-29 and a Blenheim wreck all lie within 700 meters of the path, other wrecks are a bit too far to consider. On day 2, 5 wrecks lie within half a square kilometre including three Hurricanes that crashed in formation (visible at the top of the map above the torside reservoir) these are out of my way unfortunately but a couple of meteors (also crashing in formation) lie close enough to warrant consideration of a look see. I am looking forward to this!
VH-WAL

Re: My Pennine Way Adventure

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Sounds like an interesting walk mate. Remember, lots of pics ;)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Graeme H » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Oh wow, another great adventure, hope the weather is good, when is this planned?

Went through Torside quite a few times on my way to somewhere more interesting.

My wife is from Stalybridge, not far away, so been across a lot of times.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby VH-WAL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi graeme my walk starts 3rd August, is it safe to mention your name at Torside?
VH-WAL

Postby Graeme H » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 am

Yes Wal, very safe to mention my name, I think the answer would be, who?
and not one of those important Whos, like Gallifrean, Dr Who, or former President of the Peoples Republic of China, Hu Jintao.
Like I said only passed through Torside across the moors to t'other side
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby VH-WAL » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:13 am

Well I did it! Pennine Way finished. I ended up not looking for the aircraft wrecks, there just wasn't enough time in the day, the walk itself was challenging enough without adding extra miles in un pathed terrain.. I did a post dated blog because I only rarely had internet connections that were fast enough to work with a very "clunky" blog building program, if your interested it is here: http://mypenninewaywalk2015.weebly.com/
cheers
wal
VH-WAL

Postby Graeme H » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:44 pm

A great read, and an interesting journey, always great when the weather is nice, not so much when it is wet.
I guess you will be back next year to do the reverse direction, or is that not allowed?

So back home soon, I can hear the sound of 4 P&W's calling you from the bench.
Waleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:00 pm

My hat off to you sir! You must be as fit as a trout! Glad you weren't down Shoreham way. :(

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby VH-WAL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:53 pm

hi guys,
the bench is not calling me yet.. I can't even remember what I have left unfinished on it, I have spent the last few days resting, sitting on my arse, with just under 2 months left in the UK I now need to look at remaining airshows. The 6th Sep sees a clash with either a day at the Shuttleworth Collection or the Driffield model show.. dunno about that one but need to make mind up soon. I heard about the Shoreham crash as "breaking news" on the radio on the drive back from Kirk Yetholm the day after I finished the walk. It was amazing that the pilot survived (albeit critically injured) in that fireball.. I guess he would have to have hit pretty "flat" to survive that, maybe a few more feet might have left room for a scarey recovery (assuming for a moment that nothing was "wrong" with the aeroplane).

I saw this jet at Old Warden last year:
Imagehunter9 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

very sad, news item here in the UK just now spoke of restrictions to Hunter ops and displays in general while the investigation continues, airshows are the second biggest spectator events in the UK !
VH-WAL

Return to Crew Lounge