A 'spare' £2.5m might line you up for one of these.....

General topic discussion forum for all A/CAMers. Get it off your chest!!

A 'spare' £2.5m might line you up for one of these.....

Postby Nicolas_Fantich » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:33 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/vide ... -25m-video

With the extent of the restoration established, it makes you wonder how Christies describe the 'originality' of the article. I guess if the restoration slavishly followed the original specifications and drawings, then it's as close to a Mk. I original you'll get these days.

So who's up for a crowd-funded syndicate ? ;)
Nicolas

On the Bench
1/144 Academy Douglas DC-6B - Adria Airways YU-AFF
1/48 Revell North American P-51D Mustang 'Miss America'
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D (Cavalier) Mustang N51RH
1/72 Airfix North American P-51D Mustang N64CL 'Miss Van Nuys'
Nicolas_Fantich

Re: A 'spare' £2.5m might line you up for one of these.....

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Couldn't afford owning a share in a Laser, ah what the hell, count me in! I might have to sell the family into the white slave trade - that's kinda understandable isn't it - it is a Mk.1 Spitfire!

I think this is the one c/w the original style wobble pump u/c - have to hand pump the gear up and down, am I right? Wonder if it's a two setting prop (course/fine)- not fully constant speed?

Hope it goes to a good home and it's not pranged. To all intensive purposes I bet it's essentially a "newish" Spitty Mk.1. Only a few bits and pieces would have been used in the rebuild. Wonder what the insurance cost alone of this would be per year.

Me :mrgreen: of the future owners!

Cheers

Adam
Adam the Akrodude

Postby RHB785 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:51 pm

I wouldn't like to even hazard a guess what the insurance bill would be Adam let alone pay it. It's said that those early Mk. 1 Spits could be recognised even after they went out of front line service to training units when taking off and landing by the porpoising motion they set up as the driver pumped the u/c up or down with his right hand, the left hand being used to hold the stick and a natural movement being set up through the body.

Regards,
RHB.
Last edited by RHB785 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RHB785

Postby oz rb fan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:35 pm

yes she is a 1939 stock spitfire......dug up on Calais beach in the 1980's..a battle of France veteran...and a stunning piece of restoration art...hand pump undercarriage and all.

oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:37 pm

RHB785 wrote:I wouldn't like to even hazard a guess what the insurance bill would be Adam let alone pay it. It's said that those early Mk. 1 Spits could be recognised even after they went out of front line service to training units when taking off and landing by the porpoising motion they set up as the driver pumped the u/c up or down with his right hand, the left hand being used to hold the stick and a natural movement being set up through the body.

Regards,
RHB.

I set up a great P.I.O on take off once in the Laser once. I hadn't latched the canopy properly or maybe caught the latch with my sleeve. Anyway, there I was climbing out of Moorabbin like a homesick angel and out of the corner of my right eye, I noticed the canopy start to move - UP! Holy S.IT I said to myself! Left hand on the stick, right hand trying desperately to close the canopy and latch it - didn't work -ARGH! OK, think Adam, right, hold stick between knees and use both hands to close a latch canopy. Managed to do this in what seemed like ages, but must have been a few seconds - all this time "porpoising" on climb out - "oh that's the ground ARGH, not good, oh blue sky - better.." and so on. It was one of those "hero to ZERO" moments and I could have easily lost the canopy and had to land in a "convertible" - been done by plenty of pilots in the past - quite embarrassing. I had only recently read about a guy flying a Laser and the canopy opened in flight. When he regained his composure (must have been a huge shock), he had 140+ mph wind blasting his face. Luckily he still had half his sunglasses, so could see out of one eye. The canopy had flipped open, shattered on the wing and bounced back into place - just without the Perspex any longer. That was the reason I bought a helmet!
I definitely made sure the latch was fully home on future flights!
Adam the Akrodude

Postby oz rb fan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:29 pm

and to blow your mind.....she sold for 3.1 million gbp :o :shock: ....nope it wasnt me :cry:
oz rb fan

Postby tor lives » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:53 pm

oz rb fan wrote:and to blow your mind.....she sold for 3.1 million gbp :o :shock: ....nope it wasnt me :cry:

Geez.....she is worth more than Greece at the moment :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby oz rb fan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:15 am

yup........but closer to home....there is a flugwerk Fw190 being assembled in albury as we type :shock: :o 8-)
oz rb fan

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:53 am

oz rb fan wrote:yup........but closer to home....there is a flugwerk Fw190 being assembled in albury as we type :shock: :o 8-)

That is brilliant news! Wow - may even get to see a 190 fly in this country yet! Have you any other news on this bird? Did it come from USA?
Adam the Akrodude

Return to Crew Lounge