What's the worst kit you have ever built, or tried to...

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

What's the worst kit you have ever built, or tried to...

Postby BradG » Thu May 16, 2019 3:41 pm

I just thought I'd ask as I am currently building one horrendous model. The no name CA-11 Woomera. Oh man, it's bad. We'll see if I can smash it into some type of shape!

Here's were I'm up to...oh yeh, it's a 'build your own' interior kinda thing.

BradG

Re: What's the worst kit you have ever built, or tried to...

Postby oz rb fan » Fri May 17, 2019 2:08 am

you could have ago at my 3d printed woomera if you want.............but my worst is probably an old resin supermarine spiteful i made years ago....i had to even up the wings as there were adifferent length,,,if i recall abut 5mm......a big difference in 1/72
oz rb fan

Postby VH-WAL » Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Heritage 1/48 resin Comet:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2633

Magna Models 1/48 Dove:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2581

Formaplane vacuform Carvair..only the fuselage was used!:
http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/ ... it=carvair

but the Airfix 1/72 Concorde took the cake.....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1677&p=15553&hilit=life+is+too+short#p15553
VH-WAL

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Sun May 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Planet Models 1/32 Bu-133 was pretty bad - not remotely as bad as what you're attempting though. A-Models 1/48 Yak-52 was pretty rough and crude too.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby BradG » Sun May 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Planet are generally pretty good resin kits. Their CA-15 in 1/48 is an excellent resin kit.
BradG

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Thu May 23, 2019 12:35 pm

BradG wrote:Planet are generally pretty good resin kits. Their CA-15 in 1/48 is an excellent resin kit.

Overall fit and the parts themselves weren't too bad. The issue was the hidiously shaped fuselage just after of where the firewall is supposed to be and how this interfaces with the engine & cowl - totally wrong. So a lot of whittling, filing, shaving, sanding was required to fix that. The resin is kind of soft too in that it's warped a bit over the years with the wings sagging a little totally stuffing up the etched metal rigging.

Worst plastic kit I've built was that 1/48 A-Models Yak-52 (Resident Evil version) - surface finish not too bad, but overall so crudely moulded. Yet, It's good to tackle a difficult kit every now and again - just as a challenge. I've so little time for modelling these days it's just better for me to spend time on decent kits (this more a note to myself!).
Adam the Akrodude

Postby Graeme H » Sat May 25, 2019 9:02 am

The Italeri F-21 Kfir

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri ... n--1191425

Apart from the basic Mirage shape, nothing else is even close to a Kfir, the cockpit and especially the coaming is a pure work of fiction, the elevon fairing are different sizes when they should all be the same, the Kfir nose is so fat you could make a Mirage radar nose out of it. The accessories that go with this kit are rubbish, and Italeri have just re released it, oh the humanity.
don't be fooled by the new boxart, it's still garbage you are just paying a lot more, should sell for about $1 at any buy sell swap meet, and that's overcharging massively.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri ... 1--1029886
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby modelbear » Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Sasquatch 1/144 twin otter.
I discovered the joy of using milliput on this kit and remember doing a lot of sanding and reshaping of pretty well every part of the kit. The decals are Alps printed.
Despite (or perhaps because of) all the work involved, I am really pleased to have built the kit and now have a unique item in my collection.

modelbear

Postby BradG » Sat May 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Graeme H wrote:The Italeri F-21 Kfir

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri ... n--1191425

Apart from the basic Mirage shape, nothing else is even close to a Kfir, the cockpit and especially the coaming is a pure work of fiction, the elevon fairing are different sizes when they should all be the same, the Kfir nose is so fat you could make a Mirage radar nose out of it. The accessories that go with this kit are rubbish, and Italeri have just re released it, oh the humanity.
don't be fooled by the new boxart, it's still garbage you are just paying a lot more, should sell for about $1 at any buy sell swap meet, and that's overcharging massively.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri ... 1--1029886

LOL, I've built that kit too, oh yeh it's bad. I only paid $2 for it, but I think I got ripped off. This was before any new tooled mirage/kfir kits came out though.

Here's my effort;

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/ ... =8&t=10837
BradG

Postby BradG » Sat May 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Here's how the Woomera is looking. Oh and I think it is the NKR Resins kit. My friend wanted Hercules engines and no barbettes on it. Cockpit was made from various models including; 109, Ju 88, corsiar and other stuff. Undercarriage is coming from a seafire and bf 109.

BradG

Next

Return to Model Talk