Show us what you last bought....the thread...

A membership discussion forum for all things modelling.

Re: Show us what you last bought....the thread...

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 am

I paid up a little for the book, but they're hard to find. The kits, though, together were $40. Book was $20 and wouldn't you know, this equaled the $60 I go for Christmas?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Normally I just chuck the stuff that comes in the mail in the stash but I'm seriously considering starting that TWA bird here real soon. I've been sticking to "small" airliners so far and I'm itching to move into the the more "mid range sized" stuff and what better kit anyway? Besides... paint job... super easy with the entirely red fuselage! :D
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby F-27pax » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:14 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it.
F-27pax

Postby Graeme H » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:20 am

Really nice Christmas pressies there Brad, and don't forget the Ultimate DC-9/MD-80/MD-90/MD-95 guide, probably the best online resource there is.

https://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=396
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby TheChronicOne » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Magnificent!!! Thank you. I have all sorts of shenanigans planned for this series so this will help! 8-) 8-) 8-)
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby F-27pax » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Here's what arrived from AviationMegastore in the break between Christmas and the New Year. I reckon their charge for handling and postage is outrageous so I don't use them very often, but they were the only place where I could find this Aero Commander kit, and I've been after an Aero Commander kit of some quality for decades. So, what the hell, it's the festive season. I don't know about the Miles, but since I had to pay so much in postage and handling for the one I wanted I got it too.

I've started work on the Aero Commander already. It is a full resin kit but very well moulded and finely detailed, with undercarriage detail that is better than you would find on most injection kits. The instructions are minimalist and I'm not sure about the crash moulded transparencies, but it's probably worth the money, particularly if you like Aero Commanders. The decal sheet contains options for US Army, US Air Force and a civil version and the instructions for that are minimalist too. I haven't been able to find any pictures on the interweb for an Australian Aero Commander 520, so I will probably use the civil decals that come with the kit.

F-27pax

Postby Graeme H » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Well never knew there was a kit of the Aero commander and a 520 at that
Agree about the cost of anything from the Aviation Megastore these days seems the Dutch postal authorities got the USPS manual, simply outrageous
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 am

Love that Aero Commander. I went and located on in the US to buy at a later date! ;)

A decent mix of stuff:

Going to turn this into a civilian Gunship. I'll mount some howitzers in it then it will be an avalanche mitigation airplane.

-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby F-27pax » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 pm

The Aero Commander is coming along nicely, and not too complicated for a fully resin kit. Photos later. That's a nice haul, particularly like the look of the little Bede
F-27pax

Postby TheChronicOne » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:39 am

Thanks! I now have both boxings of that one, so I have a total of 4 of them. 2 jets, 2 props. :D

Please do post them photos 'n stuff! I love stuff like that ... it's not a big military plane or fighter jet so it's somewhat obscure, and it's ARMY AVIATION in a era where nearly no such a thing exists. Can't go wrong there.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

Postby TheChronicOne » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 am

Saw a conversion set (B727) on eBay for $2. TWO DOLLARS. I had to have it.... Shipping was only $6. When the stuff arrived, it turned out there are TWO sets! The sheets were sandwiched together.. So for $8 grand total I have this:

It even came with a nice thick sheet of styrene. I can use it to make bulkheads and what not. These were made by Griffin. I had never heard of them. I have no idea how accurate these are, etc, but for four stinkin' dollars a piece I'm happy to roll the dice.

As luck would have it, I turned around after buying these and found ANOTHER, this time by ATP. A little more expensive but still what I thought was a good deal at a little under $13 after shipping.

ATP. Definitely know them! Quality stuff. I don't know anything about this conversion fuselage though, but I imagine it's "better" than stuff in main stream OOB kits.

On that note, if anyone knows literally anything at all about both the ATP and Griffin sets then regale me, please.

Not pictured: another sealed Airfix Heracles. I only paid $14 for it.
-Sprues McDuck-
TheChronicOne

PreviousNext

Return to Model Talk