Falklands War Models Here

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Re: Falklands War Models Here

Postby tor lives » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:42 am

Mate,
Love the SHAR and T-34.....keep this good stuff coming :D .
After seeing this I went and dusted off the Argy Air Force 707 project.
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Good to here Ray. Bring it on I say :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Re: 1/72 Italeri Sea Harrier FRS.1

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Just a repost to tidy the thread up :)
Hey peeps. Most of you know I've got a thing for the Falklands. This is the 1/72 Italeri FRS.1 Sea Harrier. It's not a bad kit but does show it's age a little. I used all sorts of paints on this. The decals were from Xtradecal and weren't too bad. The roundels on the intakes wrinkled up a bit which is a little disappointing. I normally just use one go as my decal solution but I think these decals might need something a little stronger so I'll use Mr Mark Softer next time. The sheet is very comprehensive and allows you to do any Sea Harrier/GR.3 that served in the South Atlantic. And you'll get i reckon 5 or so models out of it given the different schemes used. I'm in the process of doing the AIM-9L's as the kit ones were shite. Apart from the Sidewinders (Hasegawa Weapons set), pitot tube (Master Model) and the seat (Pavla) it's OOB. The resin seat had to be thinned down on the sides to fit in the tub. This particular aircraft was operated by 801 NAS from the HMS Invincible and is credited with shooting down an Argy Dagger on 21st May and damaging a Canberra on 1st May, 32 years ago. I have a few more of these to do plus many more Falklands planes as well :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself but I would love to do an Argy Navy Electra to go along with the Argy Air Force 707.
Good one Paul....the last thing I needed was another distraction from all the half-built projects/themes I already have on the go :D
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:11 pm

hrtpaul

Postby tor lives » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:25 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Link ain't workin mate. I'm assuming this is the one you meant. I like that heaps http://www.airliners.net/photo/Argentina---Navy/Lockheed-L-188C%28PF%29-Electra/1310091/L/&sid=306e8a9a64bec7cc554f1c2cd16c727c

Yep.....she be the one.
These Navy Electras were an essential element of the air bridge between the mainland and Malvinas leading up to and during the war. As were the Navy Fokker F-28s, (which is yet another Falklands-themed model I wanna make :D ).
Thanks for re-posting link mate.
TOR
tor lives

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Geezit's been a while since I posted in here :( :( :( Anyways I finally finished my Argy A-4P today. I had planned on it being an A-4C but I found out that the nose was the wrong shape so plans had to change. This is the AIrfix 1/72 kit and it's very nice to build. This aircraft flew a mission on the 25th May 1982 by Lt Mariano Velasco which resulted in the sinking of HMS Coventry. I added Eduard interior and exterior PE, Xtradecal decals and used 3 x 500Ib bombs and a TER from 1 of many Hasegawa weapons sets that populate my stash. I was going to use the Eduard flaps as well and have them posed down but it all got too hard. So after cutting out the kit flaps I had to glue them back on. I'm not happy with the colours I used as they look too bright but shit happens. I think the next Falklands plane I do will be a Falklands registered civvie then I might have to tackle something from the good guys. But first I have a 1/32 A-4 aggressor to start. Well here's the Scooter :)

hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:51 pm

Very nice work there Paul and a great tribute to the immense courage and skill of those Argi pilots.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby BradG » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:06 pm

If anyone is interested, Antarki Models from Peru just released their first set of Argentine bombs for the conflict, the BPR 250 Expal in 1/48. They also plan the BR-250 and if you're interested in some in 1/72, the Airfix Skyhawk has some reasonable facsimiles of the weapon in their new kit. I'm pretty sure the only uses of the Mk 80 series retarded bombs was by the first strikes of the Naval Skyhawks, the rest were done with the Expal or the British 1000lbers.
BradG

Postby Graeme H » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Nice job there Paul. love the colours
Graeme
Graeme H

PreviousNext

Return to The Air Base