Falklands War Chit Chat

A place for our military aviation modellers to show their stuff. It may not be civil but it still has a home here

Re: Falklands War Chit Chat

Postby Graeme H » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 pm

_BlackHawk_ wrote:Both San Julian and Rio Grande are about 650km to bomb ally, so you're at max range already and that's with maximum tanks. You'd have to have three 1300l tanks at very least (confirmed by most pictures) giving 800l less fuel. You're not going to be able to carry the Mk 17 on the center line hard point nor 4x250lb bombs on an MER. It would make sense that with 800l less fuel, you're not going to be able to carry maximum pay load and besides that fact, you've only the two rear fuselage hard points for bombs available. Thus if you want to build a Dagger, I'd say three 1300l drop tanks and two 250lb bombs on the rear fuselage mounts is your only option.

I think at the beginning there was a move to get the most amount of bombs possible, but that proved impractical range wise
and you are correct in that they went with 3 tanks, and 2 x 250lb bombs on the rear mountings

The first 2 photos here show both configs
Note that C432 doesn't have the yellow ID bands, and C415 does
http://www.dagger-lamarinete.com.ar/resenadagger.htm

This is my HPM Dagger kit, with the Freightdog resin set, which is sadly no longer available
I felt that the position they gave for the bomb mountings may be too close in, as I can't see those not hitting the tank fins

But as you can't really see them, not bothered
This is the only photo of it, as the wind took hold of the back board, which landed on the kit, and broke one mainwheel and a tank off, as well as one bomb and pylon, not repaired it yet

One thing I could not confirm was if the yellow ID band was painted on the bottom of the wing, the HPM kit says no, and the colour details are credited to Argentinians, but the Argie decal maker Condor says it is.
The closest photo I could find is that second photo of C415, but if they were there, they didn't paint the mainwheel doors, so my reasoning is they weren't painted, and relied on the drop tanks being painted yellow on the bottom.
Graeme
Graeme H

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:02 pm

You have to be a little careful regarding pictures. '432' and '415' actually survived and underwent finger III conversions, so that picture of '432' may have been taken after the war.

As for the bomb racks, I think they are in the correct position, just lacking the angle on them. They should angle out as to put the bomb outboard of the rear fins on the drop tank. In any case, I'm sure the center tank was used first and dropped inbound.

As for the bands, some pics show them, some don't. I'm not sure they were universally applied.
_BlackHawk_

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Awesome Dagger Graeme mate :) I just got an email from a guy in Argentina and it appears I could be acquiring a 1/48 Pucara *insert dancing smiley here* and a 1/48 Meteor F.4 conversion. I guess I should probably learn how to build and work with resin very soon ;) ;) ;)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Adam the Akrodude » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Very cool Paul.
Don't sweat the resin. I've built a number of resin kits and used many resin detail sets. It's nothing to fear. Just ensure you have a good razer saw. Measure twice, cut once!

Cheers

Adam.
Adam the Akrodude

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:10 pm

hrtpaul wrote:Awesome Dagger Graeme mate :) I just got an email from a guy in Argentina and it appears I could be acquiring a 1/48 Pucara *insert dancing smiley here* and a 1/48 Meteor F.4 conversion. I guess I should probably learn how to build and work with resin very soon ;) ;) ;)

Working with resin is fun...ahhh the smells...oh yeh, that's the stuff.
_BlackHawk_

Postby hrtpaul » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:02 pm

I've only ever done seats, wheels, exhausts and props in resin. Might have to get a High Planes Moth Minor as a practice run http://www.hpmhobbies.com/products/High ... 72%29.html or maybe some other simple resin kit that won't cost a kidney :)
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:46 pm

There's really not much different from working in plastic. Just more time on prep of parts and the use of superglue.
_BlackHawk_

Postby Ansett A330 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm

Apologies if it has been mentioned before but "Seconds to Disaster" was on the other night (and will probably be repeated again sometime this week) and this episode covered the loss of HMS Coventry. Worth watching if you haven't seen it already.
Ansett A330

Previous

Return to The Air Base