Re: 1/72 Airfix F.27 Friendship VH-TFE

Postby Uros » Thu May 09, 2024 5:59 pm

Looking forward to this one!
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby hrtpaul » Fri May 10, 2024 12:11 am

As promised, I have pics. But a little context first. This is where the big Fokker is up to.

Image[/url]

The dreaded scribing continues :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm starting to think this was a bad idea and maybe I should quit while I'm ahead and cover it all up again. Decisions decisions. :shock: :shock: :shock: Anyways when I pulled the fuse out of the box I noticed a big hole in the nose where superglue had once been. Years ago, I was sanding the horrible nose profile I actually went down to the superglue that was holding the lead weight in before I changed the latters position. So I glued some sheet plastic inside the nose wheel well and filled the hole with scrap plastic. I'm on to round 2 of filling and sanding this
Image[/url]

And because I don't have enough scribing to go on with, I got distracted and decided I wasn't keen on the kit exhaust so built some new ones. After a quick trip to the LHS to pick up some appropriately sized tube, it was time to crack on. They came up really nice and looked heaps better than the kit ones as you can see in the photos. The angle isn't great but I can assure you they are almost indenticle, not really sure how I fluked that though :? :? :?

Job done................. or so you'd think. When I checked a couple of pics whilst positioning the exhausts in the nacelle, I noticed that they should protrude a bit more than the ones I'd just built :o :o :o Well Capt OCD paid me a visit and I built another set of much long exhausts, V2.0. They can however be seen if one looks in the wheel wells. Now given the butchery that's going on in there to get the metal U/C to fit, accuracy in there has gone right out the door. I'll painted them dark grey/black to hide them a bit more. I have also capped the inside end of the exhaust so you can;t see into the wheel well. So as these ones are a lot longer they have so much more depth to them and look even better that version 1.0. With how these and the metal U/C is fitted, all I have to remember to do is stick the U/C legs in before I stick to exhausts in for good. Otherwise there could be a few naughty words emanating from the modelling room.

V2.0 were a lot quicker to make considering the practice I'd aready had and both are now done.

Now to put them somewhere safe so I don't lose them. Regarding the shithouse scribing effort, my main issue is consistency of the lines I scribe, they're all over the place. Not to mention I then try to correct them and make even more work for myself. I might finish the forward fuselage, give it a coat or 2 of primer and see how it looks under some paint. Then I can decide if I continue scribing or not. See how we go.
Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Uros » Fri May 10, 2024 10:49 pm

Looking good Paul! Don't give up on scribing. It just takes some time. What are you using to scribe?
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby hrtpaul » Fri May 10, 2024 11:16 pm

Uros wrote:Looking good Paul! Don't give up on scribing. It just takes some time. What are you using to scribe?

Thanks mate. I've got sooooo much time scribing invested in this ATM it ain't funny but I'm not scared to admit defeat :shock: :shock: :shock: This is what I'm using for most of the scribing. Like I said consistency is my issue. Some of my lines look like Mr Tamiya himself did them, and then most of the others look like an epileptic earth worm that has had way too much meth has had a crack at it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Head A/CAM Phantom Phanatic, Shit Stirrer and Karma Bus Driver toot fkn toot :twisted:
hrtpaul

Postby Uros » Mon May 13, 2024 6:03 pm

Do you use anything as a guide for scriber tool? I use vinyl precision masking tapehttps://spsupplies.co.uk/product/3m-vinyl-tape-471-indigo-6-mm-x-32-m-0-14-mm-06405/. I find it perfect for straight lines and it's also flexible to make curved lines too. I just tape it down where I want the line and gently lean into the edge of it. Before I discovered this tape, I was taping two or three layers of masking tape onto cuting mat and cuting out strips to use as a guide. Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Uros
Uros

Postby hrtpaul » Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 pm

Uros wrote:Do you use anything as a guide for scriber tool? I use vinyl precision masking tapehttps://spsupplies.co.uk/product/3m-vinyl-tape-471-indigo-6-mm-x-32-m-0-14-mm-06405/. I find it perfect for straight lines and it's also flexible to make curved lines too. I just tape it down where I want the line and gently lean into the edge of it. Before I discovered this tape, I was taping two or three layers of masking tape onto cuting mat and cuting out strips to use as a guide. Hope this helps.

I use a small steel rule, scribing templates and Dymo tape like this
hrtpaul

Previous

Return to Member's Works in Progress